Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Let Them Eat Cake


I was tired, angry and sad.

There.  I said it.

Oh, yes, fabulous things were happening.

Last Thursday I was causally and quickly perusing Twitter and noticed a few congratulatory tweets directed at yours truly.  They were tagged with @BlogHer.

I thought, “Hmm, did I get something featured?  I haven’t posted over there in a while.”

So, I traveled over to BlogHer and saw it.

I was within the list of honorees for BlogHer’s 2012 Voices of the Year.  In the OpEd category.  For my piece on sportscaster, Dan Patrick.

I forgot I submitted it.

Needless to say, I was surprised.  I hadn't noticed the email sent the previous day notifying me of the honor.

I was shocked.  
       
Astounded.

A voice?

Me?

I sobbed.  And sobbed.  And sobbed.

My daughter asked, “Are those happy tears?”

I said, “Well, yes, of course.”

But they weren't.

My head went a whirl trying to figure out if I could actually go to the BlogHer conference in New York City.  Even if I could afford the conference fee, the cost of a hotel room in NYC is fit for aliens.  Not foreigners.  People with expendable cash.  Those people, to me, because I know of none that exist, are aliens.

I want to go.

I want to experience the honor.

You know, that sort of ritual-type of thing, like walking in graduation.

I finished my last courses to obtain my B.A. last November.

I chose not to walk in the graduation.

It was in Iowa.  I could have afforded a hotel room in Iowa.  Normal people convene there, not aliens.
But I wouldn’t allow myself to figure out the logistics of getting on a plane, shuttling to campus, and finding the building that housed the caps and gowns.

My diploma arrived in the mail on Saturday.  Two days after receiving the BlogHer recognition.

M found it leaning on our front door in the morning.  His initial thought was that I bought yet another item that may help the girls get through the summer.  Like a swimsuit or something.

But the box was big.  And the oversized Ashford University logo printed on the box was clue enough for him to rush it upstairs where I was comfortably numb in front of the television and hand it to me.

He said, “It’s here!  Your diploma!  You did it!”

I sobbed.

He said, “Those are happy tears, right?”

More sobbing.

He said, “Open the box.”

More, more sobbing.

He said, “Let’s go out and celebrate.”

More, more, more sobbing.

With exasperation he said, “What is wrong?”

I told him of the time I went to my sister’s college graduation.  She was right on schedule, graduating after four years of studies.  I was standing next to my mother as we watched her being photographed with friends.  Inexplicably, my mother turned to me and said, “You’ll never graduate.”

At the time I was in my second year of college, doing well, and pretty much on track to graduate on time.

I didn’t understand her words.

“You’ll never graduate.”

She was right.  I didn't graduate.  Instead, I went to rehab.

It was then, as I told M the story of my mother's cruel words, that I understood the tears spawned from the BlogHer recognition and from my diploma arriving in the mail.  It was not that I felt sorry for myself because I could not afford to attend the conference.  It was not that I felt sorry for myself because I chose not to walk in graduation.

It was grief.

From what I understand about being a child growing up in a home where abuse is occurring, a victim is silenced.  She is threatened so that she does not tell anyone her dad is raping her at night.  She is threatened so she does not tell anyone that her mom knows and is doing nothing about it.  She has no words to describe the guilt that plagues her--guilt for being the chosen one, guilt for knowing her older sibling resents her for being shoved aside and replaced by her, the younger more appealing victim.

Even though I healed many of the wounds and learned to have a bit of love for myself, I worked very hard to deny my grief.  And it took a lot of energy.

"Pretending that everything is okay when it isn't, as an adult, is not helpful most of the time. The very same denial, that protected me as a child, worked against me as an adult. Denial comes at a high cost to the human body and mind."  ~Patricia Singleton

All of my grief came pouring out during moments when I expected to feel triumphant, elated.  However, life is a conundrum for which I am grateful.  Through my tears, I let go of denial.

I am going to ceremoniously open that box containing my diploma as I am surrounded by my daughters and M.  

Then we will eat cake. 

When I take the first bite, I will taste the sweet bliss of freedom--freedom of voice and freedom from denial.   

My daughters will ask, "Are those happy tears?"

"As you heal, joy and peace become a possibility that you can open yourself up to. Ask any survivor/thriver, if letting go of the denial and feeling the pain was worth what they have today. They will tell you that it was. Please do this for yourself. You are worth it." ~Patricia Singleton

I will respond, "Well, yes, of course"


Thank You BlogHer
for including me as a
2012 Voice of the Year Honoree
I am grateful!




photo credit: chotda via photo pin cc

68 comments:

  1. Congratulations. On being a Voice of the Year. On Graduating. And on giving up the silence.

    You deserve beautiful, wonderful things...enjoy that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you are sharing that cake with your daughters, remember what else you've given them.
    Freedom. A voice. An example. Belief in them.

    It's sweeter than cake.
    For a lifetime.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,
      Your insight is profound and I hold it with me very close. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully said - Congratulations. Yes, eat that cake. Two pieces, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Kim, I think this is one of the most powerful, insightful and just plain great posts I've read from you yet. Being both mindful and brave enough to put the pieces together, remembering those past hurts and realizing the cause of your tears on recent events is beautiful and courageous. I love the quotes you included in the post as well and that you are finding that freedom and joy. You deserve so much happiness, it is time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Thank you. And thank you for being a constant support for me. I hope you know, I mean really know, how much inspiration and strength you've given. It's a lot. Love to you.

      Delete
  5. Many congratulations on your award. You are such a courageous woman for writing about the abuse you suffered, and you should be awarded for now thriving in spite of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You continue to inspire, K. Congratulations on multiple well-deserved honors. Enjoy that cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This moved me to tears.. happy tears for you and for your much deserving accolades. Congrats on graduating and on being named a BlogHer Voice of the Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara. Your writing is always inspiring to me...it is great to see you hear. Much gratitude.

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh! What a post and this..."Through my tears, I let go of denial."...this made me cry. I get this.
    Your writing is stunning. Your courage and heart are even greater.
    Congratulations on your incredible news. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi. I am always humbled by your presence here. That denial stuff--rough. Sorry you had to experience it, but grateful to know I am not alone. Much love to you.

      Delete
  9. Oh congratulations! Congratulations on all of those achievements - BlogHer, graduation, and being able to let it all out. I'm so happy for you! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know that I can add anything to any of the other beautiful comments that you have received. I am honored that you used the two quotes from my recent blog article on Spiritual Journey Of A Lightworker. Thank you. I am glad that my article may have helped you to discover the source of your tears. Grief is a big part of the journey of healing that we go through as incest survivors. Thanks for sharing my journey. It is such a victory when we achieve a goal that a parent told us we would never do. I never will understand the meanness of some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your article did help me to identify that I was grieving and that I had been in denial that the grief was present. I am so, so grateful...beyond words. Much love and many blessings.

      Delete
  11. Simply beautiful. Beautiful words. Congratulations on your honor. On all of your honors. You deserve them all. You did it. You survived.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a beautiful writer, a strong voice and a great representation of strength for women in general. You deserve that reward, you earned your graduation, and your voice is one that will forever be clear and loud.

    it's not just blogher who sees that - its everyone who has been able to read your words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh, you stunned me with your words. Thank you.

      Delete
  13. Perseverance is one of the most important character traits a person can have. Kudos to you for taking what life gave you and working to change your own family tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often focus on the character traits in which I am lacking. Thank you for pointing out that I indeed have one that is well in use...I just do not always recognize it.

      Delete
  14. That was an awesome post! I think it was one of the first I read from you. This was pretty excellent as well. And yes, sometimes recognition is difficult to swallow without discomfort. Had something I wrote been chosen (but you have to submit first, right?), I don't think I would go to hear it read. If I can't read it myself, I don't want to hear it. Let's say it together: Control Freak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fear is our worst enemy...and I think that is what initially took over when I was receiving recognition. You are right that it is sometimes difficult to let in the good stuff even when we crave it and need it sometimes to thrive. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  15. Once again I am in awe of your will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by again, Vanessa. It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  16. Congrats! What your mother said was awful. But good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gia. I had forgotten her words until my diploma came. I had forgotten their impact...and now I am moving towards understanding that she was dealing with her own stuff...her words were probably a result of that and really had nothing to do with me.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments! Eat lots and lots of cake.

    you are strong and courageous and resilient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, resilient. Love that word. It's a good one. I will eat a piece of cake for you, too, Robbie! xo

      Delete
  18. Oh Kimberly...I can't possibly put into words how proud of you I am. I never graduated, and I was expected to. What you have been through and overcome astounds me. And the BlogHer recognition - kudos to you. I can't even get approved by them!!!

    Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. You are quite inspiring to me as well. I think of you often. ;)

      Delete
  19. These are wonderful things that you have accomplished. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome way to break the cycle!! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! Awards! Diplomas! You rock! This is a beautiful post, written by a beautiful person.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should eat cake. You deserve it. This was a beautiful, powerful piece. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats for piece of the year! Great job! And... eat cake. A lot of it...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Big hugs to you! Big tears from me- what a moving post K! You deserve great things- I say that because of you honesty chips away at whatever masks my own troubles. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs back to you. We need each other and that's just how it goes. I have much gratitude for it and for you.

      Delete
  25. This is awesome and so your voice. All you tied up with a pretty Blogher bow. Such a strong woman to show weakness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie. I love how you chose to express this. I really do, it made me smile and I am grateful.

      Delete
  26. WOW. You have me in tears. This is so moving, touching, heartbreaking and triumphant at the same time. What an incredible woman you are!
    I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel surrounded by your "proud-ness" and it feels good.

      Delete
  27. I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said by these lovely people, but I wanted you to be able to count me as one of your supporters! ;-)
    CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations to you on all counts. You have so much to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am crying with you....because if ANYONE deserves this kind of recognition it's YOU!!!!

    enjoy every every every single moment of all this GOOD STUFF, you've worked so hard for it...never forget that.

    love you my friend and so proud, happy and humbled to know you. CAN'T wait to hug you at BlogHer now!!!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kir. Thank you. (almost started crying again...so ending on a short note) :)

      Delete
  30. Big congrats on all of the amazing things happening for you! All well deserved.

    So inspirational to hear you share your past.

    Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my goodness ---> congratulations!! This is such a big honor! I am so bummed you can't be there?! Isn't there some way you could start a Blogher fund or something?! I wish you were going to be there! I want to hear you speak!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying. Believe me, I want to be there. Oh, to meet you in person...I don't know what I'd do!

      Delete
  32. This post is simply amazing. There is so much I want to say, about how I relate, about how proud I am that you found your voice (please don't take that as condescending as it is certainly not meant to be), about how deserving of this honour you are.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congratulations Kim! Not just on your award, but on overcoming. It's all winning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You know I am so happy for you. I was one of the Tweeters that day. I was so awesomely surprised and happy when I saw your name. You totally deserve it.

    And really, seriously. GET A SPONSOR. To attend, that is. I can give you names of bloggers to ask about how to get one, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Well first I will just say again that that pic of you is adorable :) Second congratulations on both achievements. And third congratulations on a wonderfully written, well paced, heartfelt blog post.

    You'd BETTER celebrate wholly - you totally deserve it.

    I didn't walk in my graduations either - not any of them. I sometimes regret it. I understand why you might. But mostly I had my reasons at the time and that was that. It's become symbolic for you, but instead, let the triumph of your success be that symbol. You've moved well beyond. But let your family treat you and celebrate you.

    And let BlogHer celebrate you. Find a way. Have a "ChipIn" widget on your blog. We'll contribute or find a program to help you, surely! You deserve celebration!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on both of your honors! They are both quite an accomplishment. I'm sorry you missed out on the honor of walking in your graduation; I hope you don't let it limit the pride you have in yourself. I teach college courses, and I know just how many people don't make it to that finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  37. AWESOME! How did I miss you??? I guess because I really know you as Sperk and they probably didn't have Sperk listed as Voice of Year Nominee. And on Dan Patrick? Yay. Can't wait to read it and vote. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I was nominated for a VOTY and didn't forget about it. I obsessed over it. And my post wasn't chosen, not a surprise. You are amazing and lucky and smart and I am proud of you---not just of your diploma, but of what you have LEARNED through all of this.

    Are you going to BlogHer? I am, and I hope I get to meet you!
    @erinmargolin

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautifully written post. I am so sorry you had those awful things done to you. Sounds like you are setting a good example for your daughters. Congrats on your BA and your VOTY.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations for using your voice, for it being heard and celebrated and loved. And for opening yourself to all of that "cake" - you deserve it.

    (This post is gripping and raw and must have hurt SO MUCH to write. I'm proud of you. You're amazing!)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Brilliant, Kimberly! You are simply brilliant! By the way, every day may not be sweet but there is something sweet in every day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations on all your accomplishments; surviving abuse, getting through rehab, graduating, becoming an important voice online, and doing it all while creating a family that loves and supports you.

    ReplyDelete
  43. You are nothing short of amazing and your words bring tears to my eyes. Congratulations on your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  44. So I am behind on my blogging (can you really be behind, when you are the one setting the deadline?) and while stopping in at the library, I decided to jump on their super fast internet to finish our blog post that has a lot of pictures. Unfortunately, my pictures are home on my memory card. So I've decided to read the last 7 Yeah Write posts I had left to read.

    So why am I telling you this? Because I'm sitting here with tears running down my face. I marvel at your power and how well you are able to articulate the complexity of your spirit in such a way that it illuminates us all. I am so glad you are getting the recognition you deserve and I mourn that you had the type of childhood where achievement also brings grief. It is so helpful to us all that you can share that. Hugs, High Fives, and a Hanky, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congratulations! You certainly have a voice worth sharing! Even though your emotions were mixed with grief over graduation, I still hope that God will provide a way for you to get to Blogher! Beautiful post!

    Your daughters are so lucky to have such an amazing mama who will do anything to keep them from the kind of harm she had to go through. <3

    ReplyDelete
  46. YYYAAAAAYYYYYYYY! I loved reading this. And I loved reading that you are, in fact, going to go :) So awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Congratulations.

    From the bottom of my heart.

    I often wonder if BlogHer knows the validation, the hopes, the dreams, the LIVES they buoy up with their organization.

    They have given belief to my dreams.

    They have made me not give up and keep on pushing, and pushing past the messages of childhood of abuse, neglect, evil sin.

    I hear you, dear lady...I HEAR YOU.

    And congratulations.

    I, too, thank BlogHer, for the life they've given me.

    One I dreamed only happened to others. (come see my about page, dear one...)

    Together, we can keep on making it through the days of our childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congratulations...on so many things. Your article is powerful in it's authenticity. I'm so glad you have not allowed the anchor of your past hold you down. I'm so sorry your mother never showed the same strength.
    Continue to inspire...you do it well.
    Warm Regards, Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.