Thursday, June 28, 2012

It's 100 Degrees, Dude!


It is going to reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit today.  Yes, it is summertime in Central Ohio.  Meaning, typically the temperature will rise, producing an unexpected, uncomfortable heat.

Wait.

Did I say, “Unexpected”?

I knew the heat wave was coming.  It was the talk in Dairy Mart, the grocery store, and at the last two softball games.  In fact, regardless of the season, I don’t ever check the weather because I know someone will be talking about it.  It is a bit of a phenomenon.  Is it like this in your part of the world?  Is everyone running around spreading the news of global warming?

I recently came across the number 100 in another hot place—over at Dude of the House.  He celebrated his 100th blog post by honoring awards he was given and by handing some out.  I am delighted to tell you that I was one of the recipients.

Not sure which award to claim, so I’m just calling this the Dude of the House Shout-Out.  With any award comes responsibility.  Here’s what I have to do:

I.  Thank and Link back to the blogger who awarded you.

Thank you, Dude of the House!  I was surprised and thrilled that you thought of Sperk*.  Great to know you here in the blogosphere and congratulations on your success.  Maybe we'll cross paths in the Buckeye State someday!

II. Answer the 7 questions below.

1) What is your favorite song?
My 13 year old daughter asks me this every day and every day I give her a new answer.  Maybe that’s why she asks?
Today my favorite song is “And  She Was,” by the Talking Heads








2) What is your favorite dessert?
3) What do you do when you are upset?
Talk to my significant other and write.  Boring, I know.  I used to throw things.  I do not recommend anyone do that.  Talking, writing, or going for a run cause less physical and emotional damage than tossing a vase across the room.

4) Which is your favorite pet?
I prefer any pet that loves me and is loyal. 

5) Which do you prefer, white or whole wheat?
Whole wheat with no high fructose corn syrup.

6) What is your biggest fear?
My girls suffering in any capacity--physically or emotionally. But I don't have fear at the base of my parenting.  Worry dissipates when I am present, I mean really there and in the moment, and able to find the teachable moments within time spent together.  I recommend every parent be present.  From there, parenting is personal, relative and an exercise in letting go.

7) What is my attitude mostly?
Optimistic

III.  List 10 random facts about yourself.

I recently listed random facts in a fun post here: Head over Heels with Happiness

IV. Pick 11 bloggers to pass the award onto.

This is the difficult part—not because the blogosphere is lacking in amazing voices, but because I can name more than 11, quickly, right off the top of my head.  And then, I’ll go back and realize I missed this one and that one, and then I will look to see if they have an award, find them on Twitter…you see where this is going?

It is 100 degrees here.  I have no air conditioning and a kid's sleepover is eminent.  I need to clean-up and possibly go out to purchase toilet paper so that our guest isn't relegated to tearing paper towels into quarter-size strips.

Wait.

Did I say “Optimistic?”

Nevertheless, if you are searching for some excellent blogs, go here.  yeah write is full of ‘em.  No lie.

And with that, I bid you a fine afternoon with plenty of sunshine and shade.





photo credit: PIX-JOCKEY via photo pin cc

7 comments:

  1. 100 degrees with a house filled with hyperactive children coked up on Mountain Dew? Hire a babysitter and come over to my house. I have working AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could. We have to go to softball. Yikes. Then I may take everyone to a late flick at the movie theater. Wait. If all they are doing is sleeping, I don't need to clean.

      Delete
  2. Aww thanks, Sperk! You are a true inspiration, and not just because every time I see your name I think of my former home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, 100 degrees with no air - not cool (literally)! Hope you find some fun movies or something to do in a comfortable environment. Congratulation on all the awards lately! I love that Talking Heads song, and that your favorite song changes daily :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the award and now head on over to the cheesecake factory and celebrate with some of that godiva you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! It has been over 100 for two weeks. It is finally down to mid 90's. It's too hot to think!!

    Hope you are doing well. I am excited for you to go to Blog Her soon. 3 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been battling the heat too. It has been brutal! Hope the girls survived softball and you were able to get everyone to use the bathroom at the movies before leaving so they don't use up all of your toilet paper. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.