Saturday, March 31, 2012

Five Minute Friday: Gift




I have been given gifts and I have given gifts. When I was little I enjoyed getting them. Now that I am grown, I prefer to give. It makes me feel good.  So do I give gifts for me or for the recipient?  And if there is a God, does he give so that he feels better or for the recipient?

I believe he does it for the greater good of life itself.  Which is love. Which is God.

The greatest gift I have ever been given is someone coming back for me when he knew I was in trouble.  I tried to call, but didn’t have the number.  He just knew.  And got there just in time.  And called 911.  And because of him, I lived.  Or because of his intuition. Intuition is a gift.  It is possibly God speaking to us.  And God spoke to him and now I live.  A gift.

Some days I forget to have gratitude for this most special gift I have been given and get upset about the little things, like the shower that needs fixed, or the kitchen that isn’t yet fully painted.  But really, if I wasn’t here, if he weren’t here, what would a shower or painted wall mean?  Are they significant?

Of course, it would be a wonderful gift to have those things done.  But hasn’t he done enough? 

I’m laughing.  I’m glad to be alive.

Note: This is my first stream-of-conscious writing (or free writing) post.  I have engaged in the activity before, but being a perfectionist, chose not to post any of the outcomes.  I was inspired by Kimberly, Rubber Chicken Madness, who linked her Five Minute Friday post from last week to Yeah Write #50.  She was able to access the emotion I feel when my girls are away for the weekend at their dad’s, which I haven’t been able to do successfully.  

So, in honor of shared experiences that sometimes are better articulated by our fellow-bloggers, I checked out the Five Minute Fridaylink-up at Gypsy Mama.  This week’s word to use as catalyst for free writing was “gift”.  There are many great outcomes found in the link-up authored by great bloggers, and I encourage you to check it out.

12 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. Could it have been divine intervention, that sixth sense some speak of, or perhaps just luck, that brought him to you in your time of need? Whatever the reason, what a gift.
    I'm now intrigued by the 5 min Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful for your feedback and uninhibited reaction. It swept away all that icky vulnerability I felt after clicking publish. Did you take a look at 5MF?

      Delete
  2. I concur with Jackie - wow! The gift of life is really amazing. And, you're right, some days we forget the gratitude for this greatest gift and let the little things which ultimately don't matter get to us. What a great post! Very thought provoking. I am so glad you participated in 5MF. Smiles -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. Striving to be in gratitude is probably the best gift we can give ourselves....

      Delete
  3. Your writing is so beautiful, this is a great piece. It's always easy to get upset with day to day things and forget about the gifts we have. Having someone come to your rescue like that was a true gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I took in your words and am grateful.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Anna. I took in your words and am grateful.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Anna. I took in your words and am grateful.

      Delete
  4. I agree, wow!

    The gift of a great friend, the gift of life, the gift of a fresh perspective.

    God bless you and your friend who, thanks to God, just had to come back.

    And I'm so glad he did. I bet he did it for you.....as well as himself.

    Hayley
    www.hayleysworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you, as well. Thank you for the kind comment.

      Delete
  5. Hello! Welcome to Five Minute Fridays!!
    " for the greater good of life itself. Which is love. Which is God." --> GREAT work.. really great.
    The time that I spend engaging in Five Minute Fridays have been transforming. I just allow my fingers to do the talking without hitting the backspace button. The amount of things I've learned about myself have been.. immeasurable!!!
    Keep going. You'll be so glad you did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that's powerful stuff, Kimberly. I believe, strongly, that everything happens for a reason. And I do believe in God's hand.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.