Sunday, April 22, 2012

Save It for Later: My Bad Blog Comments and Poetry



 In Save It for Later you’re getting two stand-outs from my Diigo.com "Read Later" list.

1) Friday I sat down to catch up on the great bloggers I connect with each week at yeah write.  To do so, I was going through the comments left at my yeah write #53 entry, making sure I connected with each author at their place of blogging.  See, I believe in reciprocity, not for the sake of gaining followers, but for the sake of establishing meaningful connections.  I truly value the relationships I am making through Sperk*, and as we all know, relationships that are one-sided tend to fizzle and die.  Plus, great comments usually come from great bloggers.  Reading great blogs is definitely painless.

Or so I thought.

Was it the ongoing stress of parenting, all this healing from child sexual abuse, or the constant up and down of letting the Chihuahuas in and out (they have tiny bladders) that caused me to lose my cool?  Maybe it was that I just couldn’t contain my buried anger towards the Church any longer?  Excuses aside, I totally lost it in commenting on a fellow blogger's blog.  And I regret it.  

I contemplated taking screen shots of my comments, removing them, and then posting them here for analysis, but thought that would seem a bit cowardly.  So I am just directing you to them here:


That will earn a little more blog traffic for It’s My Mind and hopefully the gesture will be put towards my case for forgiveness.  I do not usually comment on posts that I disagree with, but on Friday I lost control of any logic, intellect or wisdom I have gained during my short time as a blogger.  In the future I will heed to my sensible voice and click away silently.  

2) Did you know that April is National Poetry Month?  I did, but had not given it much thought until I was examining the writing of Melissa Ward, this week’s Wednesday’s Woman, on BlogHer.  She has a few “how to” articles for those of us who are interested in writing poetry, but aren’t real sure about how to properly tackle things like style and form.  

One of my favorite bloggers, Tara Pohlkotte, is a great poet and recently my older daughter has caught the poetry bug, so I am going to give writing poetry a try.  I encourage you to do the same, in your spare time of course.  And check out all that is and has been happening for National Poetry Month at Poets.org and find some ways to celebrate through the use of technology at edutopia.

If you don’t want to write a poem, carry one in your pocket on Thursday, April 26th


The idea is simple: select a poem you love during National Poetry Month then carry it with you to share with co-workers, family, and friends. You can also share your poem selection on Twitter by using the hashtag  #pocketpoem.


Roses are red
Violets are blue
You're to the end of another Sperk* post
And of course, I love you.


photo credit: blakeemrys via photo pin cc
photo credit: theunquietlibrarian via photo pin cc

13 comments:

  1. you are too sweet. As for the clicking silently away...this is hard. you too have a right, and I don't find what you said disrespectful, even if disagreeing with the author. i think this just proves further your heart, and that, my friend is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words always stun me. Beautiful as usual. <3

      Delete
  2. I see why you apologized as it got a bit heated. And I admire that you did apologize. That said, I agree with your position. I disagree with the attitude of the post. And I'll leave it at that. One of my yoga friends is a poet, published even, in a small way, but published. I'll see if she recognizes whatever poem I choose for the 26th. I'm guessing she will. Nice post, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie! Who is your friend? Would love to read. I am envious you have yoga friends. I want yoga friends. I guess that means I must take yoga. ;)

      Delete
  3. I am so with you on the internal debate on leaving comments when you don't agree - should I say something or just click away. I don't think what you said was disrespectful either. In fact, your comment of "I am tired of disrespect being viewed as funny" is exactly what I've been feeling as well.

    I've recently seen some really hateful, offensive things said about women and some about children, both that hit a nerve for me. I've also really struggled with - do I say something or just "unfollow" or click away and keep going. I don't think I always get it right but I'm trying. Sometimes it feels like something needs to be said, depending on the comment or info. And if people are so willing to put something negative out there in public (social media), I think you have to accept good and bad responses could happen.

    As for the post about bad tipping, I also agree that we are all human and we absolutely need more empathy and understanding in the world. I thought you were very thoughtful with your comments but I understand the regretful feeling that hits later. Been there. You apologizing just shows your own kindness and goal of peaceful communication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to click away, and I feel I stumbled upon my own lack of discipline in the matter. Also, I don't feel as if I was the most respectful in my commenting, which makes me hypocritical. We live, we comment, we learn. And I appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
  4. I hope this doesn't make me sound "Stalkerish" however, we do seem to swim in similar blogging circles. I have noticed that your comments found either on my own blog or on others, generally seem articulate, well thought out and from a place of good.
    In those situations where this is not the norm, I can appreciate you have the grace to acknowledge your fault and have attempted to remedy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Jackie. I hope my attempt to remedy it was not in vain. Still contemplating removing the comments, and yet, wishing to put it behind me, and move on. I have such a serious bone in me. Over analytic, too. ;)

      Delete
  5. I used to get much more involved in posts I disagree with. Now I don't bother*, unless it's with subjects I care about deeply or are disseminating just WRONG information. Particularly about adoptees or sexual issues. It's actually, it's refreshing to see a comment that disagrees with intellectual prowess. I think you were respectful in your responses, and while the dialogue got a little silly (I'm respect your respect of my opinion that your opinion is disrespectful!), it seemed like it was because everyone was trying to keep it civil.

    As someone who has been on the receiving end of 2 cents at the bottom of a water glass (it was douchy high schoolers, not because I provided bad service), I have to say it's wrong. As I tell my toddlers, "Use your words!"

    *I should say, on YeahWrite entries, unless they are guest posts or no effort posts, I try to leave at least something - even when I find it offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it did get a little, maybe a lot, silly, and I am hoping to continue learning along the way. Thanks, Kristin.

      Delete
  6. I just read the post an felt that his attitude towards bad service was a little immature. If you receive bad service, speak to the manager, or leave feedback. Be a grown up. I agree -- bad service is frustrating, but i know I've given less than stellar service when I've had a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having worked in many areas of customer service from waiting tables to mail order company order taker to retail store clerk to AM/PM mini market counter person, I have come across guys like that guy many times. You were not out of line in any way in your string of comments. You were extremely respectful. That guy thinks he's funny and cool. And he's not. I sometimes click 'publish' when I oughtn't. But you probably figured that out about me already :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interestingly, I am here facing a similar dilemma. Don't comment, defend myself, accept apology and offer in kind apology.

    I've decided on the latter.

    I admit that coming home to a comment war between two readers shocked me a bit. I don't want to be controversial. People tell me being controversial gets you more readers. No thanks. I considered giving up blogging.

    Am I immature? No. Is the voice of my blog immature in its exaggerated satire, without question. I'm sorry that my topic and words offended you. I take no joy in that. I have no issue with someone stating a difference of opinion as you did. I'm sorry that the drama had to expand for you, for me, and for my other reader.

    I'd love to continue to get your comments on my writing, good or bad.


    WG

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.