Monday, January 6, 2014

10 Things New to Me in 2013

Happy Monday and Happy New Year!

I do hope you are staying warm.

I am getting things rolling for 2014 at Sperk* by participating in one of my favorite blogging linkups, Monday Listicles hosted by Stasha at The Good Life.

The theme today is 10 Things New and it is open for interpretation.  

At first, I struggled with this theme.  Are my creative brain cells frozen?  

Then I got a little bummed out. I do not have a lengthy list of new things I have acquired in recent months.  

I did get a coat for which I am very grateful.  Oh, and I bought some jeans for the first time since 2007.  

But I'd like other new things, like a new car, new roof, new windows.  Ho hum.

In a state of self-pity is not a good way to begin the year.

So, I scrolled through my go-to for inspiration, my Instagram gallery, and it reminded me that I experienced several new things things in 2013.

Small things.

No mountain climbing or body surfing.

But I wouldn't trade them for anything.  Really.  I wouldn't.



10 Things New to Me in 2013 


1 - Being a Nanny


In 2013 I finally put my new-to-me degree in early childhood education to work and took a job as a nanny. It has been challenging on so many levels and just as rewarding in ways I couldn't have imagined.  I haven't had a job outside the home since my 15 year old daughter was born.  That's a long time.

2 - Middle School Honors Band


This year my 13 year old daughter was selected to be in the Bowling Green State University Middle School Honors Band.  It was a one day event that started with our drive to the university at five in the morning. The students rehearsed through the morning and afternoon finishing the event with a performance in the evening.

Needless to say, I was very proud of her.

Her dad was also very proud of her.  In the evening, he drove up to meet us for the performance which included a spy-themed piece with the added touch of all of the musicians wearing sunglasses.  When it was time for the spy-themed piece to be played, I realized her dad, up to that point in the concert, had only been watching her, apparently not even glancing around at the rest of the band.

When she put the sunglasses on, he leaned over to me and said, "What the hell is she doing?"

I simply replied, "Look around. They're all wearing them."

3 - Crazy for You



My 15 year old daughter was in her first official high school musical, Crazy for You.  She worked so hard to learn tap dancing, something she had not done before auditioning for the show.  Brava!  That's all I can say. I couldn't find a clear photo of her dancing, but we get to admire her beautiful smile.

4 - Weekly Visits to The Ohio State University



My 15 year old began voice lessons which are located at Ohio State.  We go once a week.  She sings.  I take mobile photographs--not of her.  I walk swiftly (lessons are only 30 minutes long) and get as many captures around campus as I can.  When I first started engaging in this activity I felt silly.  I'm over that now and it is something I am grateful to be able to continue in 2014.

5- Selena Gomez



I took my younger daughter and two of her friends to see Selena Gomez in concert.  It was a first, not for concerts, but for seeing Selena.  Miss Gomez is quite a performer.  We all enjoyed the show.  More so, I enjoyed the time with my daughter and her friends.  These times spent together are fleeting.  I know this because my older daughter no longer allows me to accompany her to shows.

6 - Painting With Apples



Being a nanny has offered me opportunities to try art projects that I never got around to doing with my own children.  (Do not judge.  We did plenty of crafts.  Just not ALL of the ones I wanted to try).  My favorite in 2013 was painting using apples as stamps.

7 - Instagramming in the Rain



I became very committed to Instagram this year and sometimes spent time "gramming" with my significant other.  This is a wonderful "couples" activity.  It gets you out of the house and turns on some "super-explorer switch" in your brain.  During one of our outings, it began to rain.  In the past, I would have run for shelter.  I am glad the past is the past.

8 - Pulled Over for a Photo



Towards the end of 2013 I became a little less timid about getting the mobile photographs that I wanted.  Instead of driving by something picturesque and wishing I had a photo of it, I actually pulled over and attempted to capture what I saw.

9 - Noticed the Clouds




10 - Experienced 365 Brand New Days

Many more to come, I hope.









10 comments:

  1. Wonderful achievements for your girls! And I love the picture you pulled over to take. It's a great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list of new things! My brain stays frozen, as my whole list approach really stinks. It's great that you're getting to enjoy wee ones a second time around while caring for someone else's. I always said, it takes a special person to be in daycare or in your case to care for children that aren't yours. My hat is off to you! It was certainly nice to meet you!

    Monday Morning Musings #10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cathy. A frozen brain is to be expected from time to time. It's ok to kinda go with it. The little bits that break through the ice can be fabulous.
      Thanks for your kind comment. I truly enjoy working with wee ones. I feel so experienced now that my girls are in their teens. Things that used to freak me out, no longer do which allows me to focus on other things... It's quite fun. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Kimberly, I really enjoyed your list. Painting with apples was one of my favorite crafts when I was a kid. I'll have to introduce that one to the kiddos one of these days. I, too, am enamored with Instagram. It's such a fabulous way to document every day life. Glad we could connect via Monday Listicles. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heidi! Thank you. I think you can do the stamping with potatoes, too. I am sure there must be other fruits/veggies to consider as well. I will look for you on Instagram.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous year! And I often lust after that home improvement stuff too. Still, it's those new experiences that are the best - way better than new things. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Lust" is the perfect word to describe my longing for home improvements, Kerry. It's a game of choices...go here and do this or refinish the floors. I think I'm winning the game. Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  5. Happy to see you back in the blogosphere! I noticed your eye on instagram. What sights you have captured my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this list, Kimberly. And your Instagram pics are amazing. So good to read your words again - I hope to read lots more in 2014. Also: I love being on university campuses, great atmosphere there.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.