Friday, February 3, 2012

The Paradox of Beauty


Photo credit
My girls have hair appointments at a salon somewhat randomly chosen from a list generated by that trusty search engine, Google.  I am nervous about this afternoon’s pending trip to the selected beauty establishment in the Short North, a trendy, artsy neighborhood here in Columbus.  Why be nervous?

First, this means I must style my own hair and find something presentable to wear other than my favorite red plaid flannel jammie pants that I’ve sported all week.  (Yes, my older daughter, Sophia, is planning to submit my photos to TLC's What Not to Wear).  Second, this means I must convince my girls that after five months, they do indeed need their hair trimmed.  For some reason, they think if they get a trim, their hair will cease to be long.  They do not understand that without regular pruning, their long flowing locks will turn into thin frayed wisps.  Lastly, I am not looking forward to meeting a new stylist.  The last two hair experts we’ve loyally employed turned out to be unstable professionally.  Oh, things always started out great. But one stylist stopped listening to what the client wanted for she could not hear over her own talking, and the other refused to return money paid for tinsel extensions that fell out in one hour.

The trip to the new-to-us salon cannot be avoided.  Next week Sophia is performing in her middle school’s musical.  She has the lead.  She can’t have stringy Marcia Brady hair and convincingly portray Winnifred the Woebegone.  Antonia, my younger daughter, complains every morning that she hates her hair.  This fascinates me because, although it does need shaped up, she has a gorgeous head of hair with perfect color, texture, and wave.  Are the talks about self-talk failing? 

So, haircuts, here we come.  

Photo credit
Maybe it’s not the actual experience of the haircuts that I am dreading.  Maybe it’s that I despise the fact that I see my girls beginning to be crushed by the societal standards placed upon women to be pretty.  You know what, my girls are pretty—with hair or bald, new clothes or hand-me-downs, a broken out forehead or clear skin.   I am frustrated that they do not see their own beauty, honor it, embrace it, and give it the merit it deserves.  

This brings me to a heavily debated question.  What merit does beauty deserve?   

If beauty deserves no value, why am I concerned about my jammie pants?  I can chalk that one up to wanting to teach my girls what it means to be appropriately dressed and taken seriously.  Yet, left to be answered is why we celebrate celebrities and movie stars but put down the woman we pass on the street who needs to lose ten pounds?   

Maybe I'll make a statement against the value of beauty by rolling to the salon just as I am, right now, sitting at my kitchen table with no make-up applied, hair wild, and a Chihuahua comfortably cuddled in my lap.  Possibly too extreme.  I will continue to contemplate until it is time for this little dog on my lap to be let outside.  While he is frolicking in the winter sun, blissfully unaware of his beauty, I'll give in to societal standards by applying  my make-up and doing my hair.  The jammie pants?  That's a rough one.


  
Let's BEE Friends

14 comments:

  1. I often wonder about this as well. I guess for me it is about portraying a person who cares about themselves. My no make-up and pajama pant look probably sends a loud message that I haven't thought a single ounce about myself (and perhaps that I am overwhelmed and can't manage myself well). I guess there is a fine line between meeting beauty standards and just looking like we give a d$mn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacki. I agree that there is a fine line between "looking good" because one cares about oneself and "looking good" in order to meet society's standards. My hope is that my girls grow up knowing the only standard they need to meet is their own--be it jammie pants or Armani. Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. I just caught myself yesterday in the pick-up line for school giving some Mommy the evil eye because she was dressed, put together, cute outfit, hair done, expensive looking sun glasses, etc, etc, etc. And I was SO NOT. It was annoying and then I was annoyed that I was annoyed. My Grandmother always told me that you should dress how you feel and if you don't feel good dress like you do anyway because it will make you feel better. I need to listen to her more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to this! I once read somewhere that the three things you need to do in order to succeed are to get up, dress up, and show up--no matter how we feel. Sometimes easier said than done. Your Grandmothers's words are wise.

      Delete
  3. Ah... it is a paradox indeed! I, for one, is a case in point. I like fashion, and whenever I go out, I do make the efforts of putting on nice make-up, nice hair, nice clothes etc. I color my hair, get highlights, do regular manicure and pedicure.

    At the same time, I don't allow my daughter to play with Barbie, Bratz, or any dolls that have super thin bodies. I kept on reinforcing to my daughter that beauty comes from within. I don't want her to fall victim to the fashion industry standard of beauty so prevalent in our society.

    I think the best thing is to maintain balance. I don't believe in going out and meeting people looking like we just got out of bed. I grow up being taught by mother that when we look our best, we are not only doing ourselves a favor, but also showing respect to the people that we're meeting.

    At the same time, it's important to remember that beauty on the inside is the one that matters in the long run. Ultimately, it's what leaves the most lasting impression. It's what makes people remember us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will put a bra on and change into regular clothes if I'm going out, but makeup isn't mandatory. I have an 11 yr old daughter, so I understand your pain. I do use makeup, but I try to reserve it for special occasions, or for when I just want to look extra nice. I don't want her thinking she has to apply 5 coats of face paint to be gorgeous. She already is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do some musing about societal standards too, i have 3 daughters ages 12,9, and 6. i wonder what sort of visual example I give, and how I encourage them to be their own person or to follow or not follow trends. i dont follow trends, for instance, but guiding your "i want to be like the other kids" child with some wisdom, you know.

    im sorry the stylists youve encountered have not been so good. I hope the new ones a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New stylists were great! Whew. We all left happy.

      Delete
  6. Oh the round and round conundrum that being the mother of girls brings. I can lose a morning in my jammie pants thinking about this myself. Where is the line drawn between presenting your best face to the world and putting on a mask for the world? -Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, you created a great question that could be posed to our girls: Where is the line drawn between presenting your best face to the world and putting on a mask for the world?

      If we let them contemplate this, they will most likely come up with a suitable answer and have the experience of pondering things such as "who am I", "how do I want to be viewed", "what qualities do I want noticed-do I want to feature my physicality or my personality?"

      Good stuff, thank you.

      Delete
  7. I can't even mention the times I roll into drop off and realize, belatedly, that I forgot to brush my hair that morning. Neat.

    As far as hair, my girls have only had a trim once in a year because my older one is working on locks of love. I love this about them - that they are trying to give back and it was all their idea.

    And, hairdressers. My former sitter is a hairdresser. She's GREAT with kids and since she can't be our sitter anymore, we have her do our hair. Let me know if you're interested. She's also in the Short North and I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome that your girls are doing Locks of Love. I'm sure they get their generous spirit from you!

      The hair appointments went well. If I need a new one in the future, I'll keep it in mind. Thank you.

      I hope Literal Mom is going well. I need to get over there. So much reading...so much good stuff...so little time.

      Delete
  8. I totally get you on this. I hate hair appointments because no matter what I do I always end up feeling frumpy. Maybe that's because I usually go on a Saturday when I'm not at all motivated to look decent.

    But I hear you on the beauty standard and how that plays out in situations like this. Don't you sometimes wish you could take your daughters to a barber? Except for the haircut of course.

    Thanks for linking this up with us on Just.Be.Enough. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a paradox. I have gone from almost always having make up and trying to look my best, to not trying quite as hard lately--and the truth is that I feel better about me when I am "dressed" with even a smidge of makeup. I want my daughter to feel good, regardless of what she looks like or is wearing, but there is no question that even at seven, I find her looking at herself in the mirror--taking her glasses off saying she looks prettier without them.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.