Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Judge it Mercilessly


I had a phone interview yesterday with a prospective employer.  I was nervous.  I thought I was more nervous than one would normally be during a phone interview.  Tomorrow I have a face-to-face interview with another prospective employer.  I am nervous.  In my mind, I am more nervous than normal.  But, what is normal?

According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary nor-mal is: according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle.  

What does the typical stay-at-home mom with a 13 year tenure usually feel like when she reenters the workforce and changes careers?

Probably like me.

What am I going to do about this nervousness before it becomes a paralyzing issue?

I am going to start by coloring my hair.  The last time I did my hair it turned out deep blue.  It is noticeable only in certain light and from proper angles.  But I do not want to spend the entire interview with my head propped in a certain way.  It seems that would be odd and make the interviewer uncomfortable.

I am also going to focus on positive self-talk.  Remember Stuart Smalley?  Well, he was onto something.

During one of the nightly talks I have with my 13 year old daughter as I tuck her into bed, she expressed severe worry about what people may be thinking about her.  It occurred to me that the pressure to fit-in in middle school is as real as it was when I was a teen, if not worse.  I told her,

“The only thing you should judge about yourself is your self-talk.  Judge it mercilessly.” 

I have no idea where those two statements came from.  If the message was in my arsenal of parental sayings, I wasn't aware of its presence.

I have been following up by asking her about her self-talk.  She’s been answering with descriptions of combating self-doubt like a true lady warrior:

“Mom, I realized that if I wear something nice to school, I feel good and am able to concentrate all day.  I don’t worry about how I look.”

OK.  Awesome.

Or, “If I hear myself putting myself down, I say, ‘that’s not true’.”

I can surmise that she is putting into practice valuable life-skills.  I couldn’t be more relieved.  Check mark in the column labeled, tools to give daughter so that she does it differently than I did.

Negative self-talk has plagued me like consumerism and debt has plagued America.  Even when I was performing successfully in my first career—dance—I had the compulsion to constantly and harshly self-criticize.  It was rare for me to embrace a triumph or celebrate a victory. I have carried this auto-negative behavior with me right into the second act.  

Why?  I could look around the room for someone to blame.  I could blame the nature of the performing arts industry in which I was an active participant for many years.  I could blame the president, but he probably is having the same issue.  So, the fact that I spontaneously came up with that little tidbit of motherly advice was a moment of parenting grace.

For tomorrow’s interview, I'm going to color my hair and get a new sweater in honor of my daughter's new-found skill of self-care.  It was she who said, “. . . if I wear something nice . . . I feel good. . . .”

I am going to update my resume because the last time I looked at it the self-talk that occurred was, “That looks like the work of a kindergartener.”

Lastly, and you won't find this tip on Monster.com, I am going to watch clips of Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman .  Yeah.  Wonder Woman.  Because there was a time when I believed I could be her when I grew up.  If I get the color of my hair just right, I will be.


2 comments:

  1. I can really relate to the negative self-talk. I am my very worst critic. I have tried, especially in the past few years, to catch myself when I'm doing it. I read a quote recently that made sense to me. Can't recall it exactly, but it went something like this: "Be mindful of your thoughts because they become your words. Be mindful of your words because they become your actions. Be mindful of your actions because they become your habits. Be mindful of your habits because they become your destiny." It all begins with a thought! Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments giddysap. I love the quote and am going to post it in the kitchen for all of us. Positive thoughts to you!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.