Monday, February 6, 2012

Top 10 Passions

There is a great community of writers who link up every week with Stasha of The Good Life fame for  Monday Listicles.  This week’s list is one that I need to reflect upon regularly in order to stay focused on the important stuff.  It’s all about passion.

My Top 10 Passions in Life.

1. Parenting.  I have devoted my life to parenting and it can sometimes take over and overshadow all of what I do.  So it’s vital for me to remember entries two through 10.

2. Love.  The significant other kind of love, the kind I have for my three Chihuahuas, and the world peace compassion kind of love.

3. Getting lost in or being awakened by the artistic expression of others: reading a great novel, seeing a great film, viewing an amazing photograph. . .
“You live like this, sheltered, in a delicate world, and you believe you are living. Then you read a book(Lady Chatterley, for instance), or you take a trip, or you talk with Richard, and you discover that you are not living, that you are hibernating. The symptoms of hibernating are easily detectable: first, restlessness. The second symptom(when hibernating becomes dangerous and might degenerate into death): absence of pleasure. That is all. It appears like an innocuous illness. Monotony, boredom, death. Millions live like this(or die like this) without knowing it. They work in offices. They drive a car. They picnic with their families. They raise children. And then some shock treatment takes place, a person, a book, a song, and it awakens them and saves them from death." Anais Nin
4. Writing Sperk*. Getting it out.  Challenging myself to express it in a way that is meaningful, authentic, relatable, and concise.  Getting to know my blogging community.  Every week, I am astounded by the great writing I come across—writing that is powerful, funny, truthful, empowering, and inspiring.  I wish I had more time to devote to it, but . . . see number one.

5. Music.  It’s been my most favorite and constant companion since I was a little one.  My significant other plays the bass, my older daughter sings, and my younger daughter plays the clarinet.  I absolutely love when any one of them practices.  iPods being docked and turned up loud is encouraged.  Sharing playlists on Spotify is a must.  And live music?  There is nothing that compares to being in the moment and part of the energy of a live concert.

6. Education, especially early ed.  Quality early learning can change the world.  We need to focus on it and pay early ed professionals salaries that are comparable to teachers of elementary, secondary, and post-secondary schools.



7. Children’s Advocacy.  Children are miniature people.  They are not second class citizens.  We need to honor their expression, keep them safe, and support them in creating their voice.  If we do so, when they grow up, the world will be a better place.

8. The Pittsburgh Steelers.

9. Sharing information..  The world has become smaller due to technology.  I am always blown away by the current ability to find and share information.

10. Peanut Butter.  I eat it right from the jar.









photo credit: morganthemoth via photopin cc
photo credit: Vince Alongi via photopin cc
photo credit: sam_churchill via photopin cc

15 comments:

  1. Love this list - and the fact the "love" itself made a top spot:) All great but especially #3 and #7 - awesome. Thank you for sharing these great passions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list!! LOVE LOVE LOVE, even as an Eagles fan! For #6 I 100% agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that the season is over, we can all be friends. ;)

      Delete
  3. Your passions say so much about you! I really love what you said about children. One of my favourite quotes ever is :
    We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today.  ~Stacia Tauscher
    But I am also glad to ad that you have passions outside parenting too.
    For the record, you are a part of our fabulous community :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great quote that is now archived in my Diigo account. I totally agree and have been known to raise my voice on occasion during debates about educational reform. Thanks for your warm welcome to Monday Listicles. I am happy to be part of it.

      Delete
  4. OK I love numbers 6 and 7.
    And as for no. 10: I have a sudden craving for peanut butter - and I agree - it's best eaten straight out of the jar. (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed you are a Montessorian, as am I. Your liking for numbers six and seven are no surprise. I've often wondered how peanut butter covered spoons would fair in the silver polishing work? Hmm, not so well. ;)

      Delete
  5. I have had my periods of peanut butter passion. I could have put music on my list but would have to have said popular music. It sounds so plebeian -- which I guess I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact the you used the word "plebeian" to describe yourself makes you so NOT plebeian. A person who has studied logic, maybe in law school, would be able to form that into an effective argument. That person is not me;) Thanks for coming by, Jamie. I hope your week is going well.

      Delete
  6. Ok, your list is so genuine and fine, I think we can forgive you giving the Steelers a spot. I am a Ravens fan and Ellen is an Eagles fan, so you know how much we must love this post. ; ) I too love the early education spot (I used to do early education for toddlers with autism and it was life-changing for them and me). But #3 is my favorite. Hands down. I like how you put this passion into words and I definitely share it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shuddered a little at the sight of the Ravens. For some reason I can deal with the Eagles. ;) It's always great to see you here. I hold Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms in high regard.

      Delete
  7. Your entire list made me smile! Early childhood ed. talk about foundations of.... everything! It is amazing what early intervention and great educators can do for children. Peanut butter... want me some crunchy PB!! Love is important isn't it! It brings so much to life! Great list! -LV

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I love all of it! But especially peanut butter... its a love hate relationship really

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore all of these! But that #3? Perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.