Sunday, August 5, 2012

Save It for Later: BlogHer '12, Reality TV, and Back to School



In Save It for Later you’re getting a brief run-down of each week's stand-outs from around the Web.


"Opportunity often comes disguised in the form of misfortune, or temporary defeat."

Voices of the Year
Thanks to the kindness of Ashley Taylor and Stacey Gill, I had the opportunity to go to BlogHer ’12 and celebrate my VOTY honor.  Thanks to my inability to overcome the fear of the dentist, I missed it.  Also, dentists are expensive--more expensive than what I had saved for a flight to NYC.  I was faced with deciding between a cracked front tooth and lost crown being fixed and attending the conference.  The situation depressed me.  And I still haven’t found an affordable option for fixing my teeth.  I’m in a funk and hoping to overcome it by continuing a fearless examination of what it means to be me:  Sperk*, a human, mom, friend, and one who sometimes loses sight of the fortitude I already hold (that was in no particular order).

Did you go to BlogHer ’12?  How was it?


What Are You Watching?

I’m into the new HBO series The Newsroom.  I like its intelligent take on the media, challenging viewers to be critical thinkers as they take in the news and other forms of entertainment.  In episode four, I'll Try to Fix You, viewers got a fictional and yet impactful look into gossip magazines’ “takedown” stories.   Regina Kulik Scully and Jennifer Siebel Newsom, who write for the blog at Miss Representation, recently wrote an article related to the episode, asking us to take into consideration why we watch reality television.  Although I do not view most reality shows as “takedown” stories, they have a similar trashy feel.  The article, The Toxic 'Takedown' Fast, raises interesting questions related to both tabloid 'takedowns' and reality shows.  

With the premiere of TLC’s new show, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo , premiering on Wednesday, I have to ask, “When will we say ‘enough!’ to reality television?”  And, "Who are we taking down with these shows?" 

I’m grateful my own reality TV guilty pleasure, Pawn Stars, is not in the TLC, but airs on The History Channel.  I’m afraid Honey Boo Boo is going to cause me to boycott TLC.


Back to School Shopping

My kids start school earlier than usual this year—August 15th.  That means school supply shopping is not right around the corner.  It should be happening now.  I’m unprepared.  And both of my girls have long lists of items that need to be purchased in order for them to be prepared for learning (insert a hint of sarcasm here___).

According to a CBS News story, Americans will spend on average $689 per family on back to school shopping.  Here’s some sound advice from J.J. Montanaro, who writes at USAA, on how to make it a little less painful: 




Find something interesting while surfing the Web this week?  Let me know in the comments. 



photo credit: Thomas Hawk via photo pin cc
photo credit: Sarah Deforche via photo pin cc

8 comments:

  1. I did not go to BlogHer either, but went to Vancouver with my family. Part of the family that is - my daughter came back from Vegas yesterday, we picked her up at the airport and will now spend a few days in Vancouver together.
    She came back 15 years old, with blue hair and purple skinny jeans... oh yeah, and the attitude. Also, she was wearing a Chumlee t-shirt, the guy is her favourite character on Pawn Stars and yes, she went to the pawn shop, but he was not there.
    Pawn Stars is definitely something the whole family watches! (And I agree with the TCL, some of those shows really are a travesty - and not in a good way).

    Back to school shopping is on the list when we get back home Tuesday - better get evrything while it's on sale :). Four more weeks to go until school starts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm another who didn't attend BlogHer. Just remember, whether you went to NY or not, your writing and talent has been recognized and you have readers who love and appreciate you and your blog! Staying home does not change any of that. I'm sorry about your dentist situation, that is really hard and so frustrating. I have that fear as well but the financial part just makes it more complicated.
    Ugh - Honey Boo Boo's mom is upsetting to me. I had never heard of her or seen her until a week or two ago on Dr. Drew. I can't imagine a whole show about her - yikes.
    Yes - school is about to start, we just had the tax free shopping weekend here. I have to say, I'm pretty thankful summer is coming to an end. Mine will start preschool in Sept., just hoping we get through that first week ok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I will certainly be thinking of you at the start of preschool for your little one. And thanks for your support. xo

      Delete
  3. No BlogHer for me either. I am bummed you didn't get to go...you were so excited about that :( There will be other opportunities, I am sure, if you want them. You are such an amazing writer and nice person. I hope you're able to get your tooth woes sorted quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know. And 'amen' to swift removal of tooth woes (hopefully not a pun) ;)

      Delete
  4. I just had to get some expensive dental work done and I discovered Careington Dental. It's not insurance, but gives you pretty big discounts on dental stuff. Saved me hundreds of dollars and cost something like $20. No waiting period. (No, I don't work for them.) Check it out. Dental problems suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check it out. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

      Delete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.