Monday, July 23, 2012

10 Things Birthday



My birthday has always been my favorite day of the year.  Even if the day did not turn out as planned or expected, I would still walk around with this strange sort of “awe” floating around my brain.  I was in awe that I was born.

Becoming a mother made birthdays even better.  I loved celebrating the birth of my girls with themed parties, coordinating every detail, even the colors of the M & M’s.  I spent hours finding the perfect activities, biggest balloons, and most unique party favors.  It was exhausting.  However, I wanted my daughters to understand just how incredible it was that they were born.  I wanted them to know they should be celebrated.  And all the commotion kept me from focusing on the fact that each time they had a birthday, they were a year closer to leaving home.

Getting older comes with some fears, but on my birthday, I still am in awe of being born.  And every year I am a little more astonished by how deeply precious life is. I am more respectful of how swiftly time seems to pass. 

My youngest daughter soon turns 12.  I wanted to coordinate party favors, balloons, and decorations to the eVite she enthusiastically created on her own.  Together, I wanted for us to create lovely handmade gift bags and search for the perfect items to go in them.  But she wasn’t interested.  

“Mom, we can just get some candy and put it in bags.” 

The things I used to count on providing me with an opportunity to spend quality fun-time with the girls are changing.  They are growing into young women.  They are uncovering their own understanding of what it means to grow up.  They are making their own decisions on how to celebrate.

Even so, there are things that when I see them, I think birthday.  I think life.  I think celebration.  These will never change.

Today for Monday Listicles, I honor those things that, for me, have come to mean Birthday.




1. Balloons



                                                                                          


2. Party Dress


                                                       






3. Friends



                                                                                        



4. Cake



                                                                                                          


5. Presents



6. Punch





                                                                                                               



7. Musical Chairs



                                                                                                                  



8. Hats





                                                                                                                            

9. Pigs in a Blanket


                                                                                                             

10. Party Favors







                                                                                                 













The best way to spend Monday in the blogosphere!


photo credit: Aih. via photo pin cc
photo credit: Camdiluv ♥ via photo pin cc
photo credit: Huzzah Vintage via photo pin cc
photo credit: Kalexanderson via photo pin cc
photo credit: PetitPlat - Stephanie Kilgast via photo pin cc
photo credit: lisaclarke via photo pin cc
photo credit: Edvill via photo pin cc
photo credit: s2art via photo pin cc
photo credit: monstersweare via photo pin cc
photo credit: joshbousel via photo pin cc
photo credit: jaundicedferret via photo pin cc

29 comments:

  1. You found the most beautiful pictures for this post! I just kept scrolling and looking through them! I have the same attitude about birthdays, I don't get people that don't want to celebrate. They are a huge deal to me, I use to schedule the day off from work every year to go shopping and just do fun things :) Great Monday list Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome that you took the day off work for your birthday! We should all do that, even if we are a SAHM. Thanks, Anna.

      Delete
  2. Really nice, I just love how beautiful your pictures are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree...such amazing pictures! I wish someone had warned me that kids get to that age where they don't want "themes" and "organized activities". I miss planning birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie. I miss it, too. Maybe that's why graduations and weddings become such a big deal...maybe that's why we hear stories of moms who want to be overly involved in planning those events. We could say, "If you would have let me get the petting zoo for your 12th birthday, I would be less intrusive in planning your wedding." :)

      Delete
  4. You gave me a lump in my throat about the girls wanting different things for their birthdays now. I'm there with you. Thank you for the pretty pictures to ease my angst. :) Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, the lump in the throat. I think you may have uncovered the reason I spent an hour more on this than I wanted. Searching for the photos really calmed me. thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. i LOVE pigs in a blanket. dipped in spicy mustard. ain't nothing that says "party" like a mini-hotdog.
    (and I love what you said about your daughters; you're really aware of them and their needs, but without being overwhelming, it seems)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I considered substituting them with something more picturesque. But it's not a party without pigs in a blanket. Thanks, Deborah.

      Delete
  6. I too feel that bday should be CELEBRATED in some way. I don't care how you do it, just be happy you're ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the older the girls get it's more having the girls to spend the night and going out for dinner. But I do love listening to them talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too. Are you getting the strange looks when you contribute to the conversation? That always makes me feel weird. ;) I think they are grateful to have us around, even in silent-mode.

      Delete
  8. I love birthdays too! What fun- pshaw to all those who turn their noses up at celebrating a birthday...awe, reverence, joy- all seem to be less popular, but most appropriate responses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I hear someone does not enjoy birthdays, I assume they have their reasons...probably good ones...and make sure they know I am happy they are walking this earth with us. :)

      Delete
  9. Yes - pigs in a blanket! I don't know why we only think to buy them for birthday parties. they're the perfect lil snack!

    I love the party hats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find that as I lost the fun of planning parties for my son, instead I got to plan for 40 and 45 and 50 for Hubs and me. (Well 50 for him, I'm not there yet. Just staring 45 in the face soon!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely pictures! I love that you take so much joy from birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures. I'm a fan of any excuse to wear a fun hat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cake looks amazing and the pigs in a blanket fantastic. I'm coming to your next party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cake looks amazing! All great things celebrating birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Kimberly, I see myself so much in what you wrote. The time and energy put forth in the details, the plans, and the celebration. I do so love sharing this time with my girls, and reading of how your younger daughter has grown less interested hit me square in the heart. I realize there will be a time, when I too will reach that moment where childhood meets young adulthood, and I can't help but get a bit choked up.
    For the record, I still love a good party dress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your list of birthday things - just looking at them made me smile.

    My daughter has her 9th birthday coming up next month. The growing up is fast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the way you celebrate simply because you're "in awe of just being born." That is such a big deal, isn't it? I never realized how lucky we are to have made it here until I had my own two little miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the photos. All great birthday things. I just love birthdays, especially my own! Nothing is better than a birthday with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.