Monday, July 30, 2012

10 Noises That Drive Me Mad


According to a study published in Noise and Health Journal, "Very long term exposure to noise may adversely affect mental and physical health," (Smith, Baranski, Thompson, Abel, 2003, p 15).


Today's theme for Monday Listicles, Noises that Drive Us Mad, is one we should carefully consider.  Let's be sure to remove these noises from our environments so that we are mentally and physically healthy, happy bloggers.


10 Sounds that Drive Me Mad

1. The television on when no one is watching it. 

2. My three Chihuahuas barking at the mail carrier.  Every day.  Same time.  You would think they would remember.

3. The sound of a can of beer being opened.   A sweet and refreshing sound to some.  But to me, it signifies uncertainty:  Will this be an angry and scary drunk?  A happy won’t stop talking drunk?  A leave the house and don’t tell anyone where you’re going drunk?

4. Cars screeching to a halt at the stop sign at the end of my street.  It’s a 25 mile per hour zone, people!  And my kids use that crosswalk.

5. My alarm in the morning.  I have changed the ring tone several times.  Even the most pleasant sound is annoying upon waking in the morning.

6. That awful sigh one gives when they are being passive aggressive.  Just say what’s on your mind.  Please.

7. My daughter stomping up the stairs when she’s angry.

8. My daughter slamming the door when she’s angry.

9. That mysterious bump in the night that I only hear when I am home alone.

10. The sound that drives me completely mad and sends me into a full-blown panic attack, is the sound of a dentist’s drill.  I can’t even think about it.  I start shaking.





On the other side of the argument is that if a sound can make us grumpy, inevitably a sound can make us happy.  And because I'm right in the middle of a big, stinking, mental health funk, I thought it would be wise to identify those sounds that evoke pleasant thoughts.

Sounds that make me happy


The sound of my daughters’ voices—talking, laughing, squealing, complaining, and especially saying, “I love you, Mommy.”

The birds that sing to me in the morning.  Yes, they are singing to me.  They told me so.


Music.  Any music with the exception of that genre of rock that is played at high speed with little song structure and shouting scary vocals.

The sound of the doorbell when my daughters are coming home from their dads.



Now, tell me, when you are sad or mad, or simply down in the dumps, what sound makes you feel a little lighter?












The best way to spend Monday in the blogosphere!










photo credit: gelund via photo pin cc
photo credit: Rana X. via photo pin cc

Reference

Smith, D.G., Baranski J.V., Thompson, M.M., Abel, S.M. (2003). The effects of background noise on      
          cognitive performance during a 70 hour simulation of conditions aboard the International Space 
          Station. Noise and Health, 6(21). Retrieved from  http://www.noiseandhealth.org/article.asp?

12 comments:

  1. Those mysterious bumps in the night can really freak me out as well. I think the house we live in now "settles" more than anywhere I've ever lived. The morning alarm was a good one as well, I don't know if a pleasing tone exists for that! I love that you did a list of sounds that make you happy as well :) Great Listicle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passive aggressive sighs are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate going to the dentist too. The pic did make me laugh. :)

    Great way to round off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dentist chair picture did *not* make me laugh, that was the creepiest evocation of dental dread I've seen! ~shudder~ Even when I don't have/make the time to meditate I'll play some meditation bowl gongs, I find them very relaxing on an almost subliminal level

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the birds were singing to ME?
    I too hate the sound of the TV on when no one is watching it. A total trigger from childhood, n'est ce pas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so with you about the TV! And I LOVE that you added the joyful sounds too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like the cshhh sound of a beer being opened either, because it's one or two but it's every day and it just bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't stand the TV being on all the time. It is evil and I am constantly turning it off. My husband grew up with the TV always blaring and I'm always fighting against that. I enjoy silence.

    Must give honorable mention to the passive-aggressive sigh. Just awful.

    Thank you for ending your list on a positive note. :) Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I HATE having the TV on when no one is watching it, especially in the morning. Who needs all that background noise, or the blathering commercials? And yes, I too love the sound of my kids' voices playing together, especially when they think I'm not listening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you always end on the happy note. Wonder what the dogs would do if the mail carrier had a treat?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never used an alarm my whole life, I'm one of those early birds!!!. Windy, Rainy dark nights and I'm cozily tucked up. That's a good sound... but not if you've left something out that shouldn't be out ..... and a tarp that's flapping about. I'm male and I agree wholeheartedly about the T.V..aargh!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.