Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Morning on a Web 2.0 Interactive Timeline



I have been wanting to try a Web 2.0 interactive timeline app, so when I saw that one of the prompts for Mama Kat's weekly writing meme was "Describe the Scene at Breakfast" I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to turn the timeline in my October post, A Morning in the Life, interactive.  I was looking forward to trying Dipity because of its ability to add audio, video, and photos, but the site was down.  I began creating one on timetoast but it did not look as flashy.  Instead I created a timeline of our morning routine using Tiki-Toki.  It has a lot of the same features as Dipity, is easy to use, and looks great. The only difference in the two is that Dipity allows you to embed your timeline into your website for free and Tiki-Toki requires a fee.  I paid up because I wanted to share it with you.

Interactive timelines are popular in educational technology applications. But they can also be used for creating family event timelines for your personal blog.  And your kids would enjoy making timelines of their own based on their interests.  Maybe your child would like to create an historical timeline of fashion or one depicting stand-out moments in her school career.  On Tiki-Toki you can add editors to your timeline. So for your cousin's next birthday have the entire extended family add photos and videos to a timeline celebrating his life! If you don't have a website or blog to embed the timeline, don't worry, you can simply view it on the site and share the link.

In my haste to complete my A Morning in the Life timeline, I see I would have liked the final outcome more if I had added more media and more details to the stories.  I will continue to edit and add as time permits.  So check back to see progress.  And be sure to click on the Mama Kat widget below to read some amazing blogs.








Mama’s Losin’ It

1 comment:

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.