Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cowbird


Last month when reading my favorite online news source, Good, I came across an article about the new site, Cowbird. I loved what I read and checked it out.  Cowbird is not a bird watching site or even dedicated to anything related to cows, birds, or to nature.  Well, let me correct myself.  Cowbird is dedicated to human nature.  By nature, we have a need to connect through stories.  Cowbird honors this need and does it well.

Cowbird's full title is Cowbird, a Witness to Life.  It proclaims to be ". . . focused on a deeper, longer-lasting, more personal kind of storytelling than you're likely to find anywhere else on the Web."  I agree.

At Cowbird,  you'll find a way to link stories of the same subject with other stories by different users.  These are called sagas.  For example, anyone, from anywhere in the world, can list their story with others who experienced Occupy Wall Street.

Another feature is users can easily add a sound recording to their stories, which gives stories a voice--literally. As I explored the site, I found this added feature to be wonderfully moving.  You can also dedicate stories to other Cowbird users, which makes stories more meaningful.

I created my first story this morning.  The subject of my story is someone I know pretty well--my older daughter, Sophia.  I invite you to click the link below and read and hear an excerpt:

The name "Sophia" is of Greek origin and means "Wisdom". . .










 

Linking up with Mama Kat: Create an “instructional” post where you show readers how to do something cool or useful or yummy.


Mama’s Losin’ It

17 comments:

  1. Kimberly, I love that tribute to your daughter. And your voice sounds just as I might imagine it from your picture :) You have a very bright, very strong daughter on your hands. Congratulations to you both, and may she continue to live in her strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laura So full of gratitude for your words. They are beautiful, encouraging, and heartfelt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like mother, like daughter never seemed so apt! As Laura said, your voice is exactly as I envisioned it, from your photo and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Alison Oh boy. Your comment made me a bit emotional because I think Sophia is so awesome. . .and has so much to offer the world. . . It's weird being a mom. Sometimes I feel all the energy I have for the world goes into mothering the girls. But really, isn't that our gift, or contribution, to the world?
    Thanks so much for your words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter will be an amazing woman when she grows up! You have every reason to be proud of her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I feel proud reading her comment, and I'm not even her mother, so I can only imagine how you feel! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jackie Thanks for coming by and reading, "Cowbird" I'm honored that you took the time to do so!
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What an amazing story about your daughter. How proud you must be to have such a determined and motivated young woman who advocates for youth her age and speaks out when she feels like there needs to be a change!
    She's going to go far!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Leighannn Thanks! She amazes me every day. I hope you are doing well this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Children are a product of their environment so be proud that you are raising such a fantastic young woman. This is as much a compliment to you as it is to her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kimberly, this is amazing on many levels. Your tribute to Sophia and your vulnerability as her mom....

    I love knowing about Cowbird...what a great forum for community....thanks for that as well!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Shannon I agree that Cowbird is a wonderful forum. Thanks for your kind comments.

    @Kaye You're welcome. I hope you request an invite from Cowbird and begin sharing your stories

    @Missy Thanks! I'm finding some wonderful writing at PYHO.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting site and great story. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.