Tuesday, October 23, 2012

If I Say It, It's True


I haven’t opened my laptop since Friday.  Night.  My legs started aching and I started sweating.  Thought I was going to vomit.  But didn't.  I had a fever. Hot like a light bulb to the touch, but I was freezing.  How does something like that just wash over you?  Like out of nowhere? 

It’s lingering.  Going on five days.  No fever today.  But I’m tired, weepy, and have a hell of a cough.  I feel like I’m writing from the front line of Armageddon, the day the flu takes over the last survivors.

Such drama.

Drama is exhausting.

My finest parenting moments have occurred during this bout. 

My thirteen year old came home from her dad’s and said, “Mom, I watched the movie Juno and loved it!”

I said, “Don’t get pregnant.”

Unfortunate that I failed to seize the moment, taking the opportunity to discuss teen pregnancy within the context of something that interests her.

This evening I drove my 12 year old around for an hour searching for this mysterious place wherein her softball instruction was to take place.  I had the directions.  They weren't accurate.  I called.  I was so close, but too late. 

Now she can’t sleep.  It’s possible that our viewing of John Carpenter's Halloween right before bedtime wasn't the best parenting choice.

It’s great to be here and I’m great.

I’m just going to keep saying that until it’s true.

Damn you, flu.


photo credit: atomicjeep via photopin cc

2 comments:

  1. So sorry you are sick! The flu sucks and trying to be a functioning, responsible parent with the flu is even worse. Sleep and be lazy as much as possible and don't feel guilty - it will help heal you :) Sending good vibes your way! By the way, Halloween is one of my favorite, scary movies - and it still scares me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm a little late to this, but I truly hope you're feeling better. I had a terrible case of the flu this summer and it knocked me out. Even in your sick state you are delightful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.