Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Women, If Romney Wins, We Should Be Very, Very Afraid


According to yesterday’s USA Today, Mitt Romney is leading in the polls with women voters.  I am against using scare tactics in the media in order to gain votes.  You know, those messages from both presidential campaigns that in essence say, “If you vote for my opponent you should be very, very afraid because THIS will happen.” (Insert your own frightening scenario in place of the word “this”).  Those statements are usually misleading and are put out there in hopes that one doesn't actually research the issue, finding what could really happen.   It’s the hope that the voter makes a decision based on fear and not fact.

BUT. . .

Women, if Romney wins, we should be very, very afraid. 

I am not talking about the economy, which is the reason women are moving towards Romney’s side.  I do not think either side has a great plan.  Besides, it’s such a giant issue, the fix is too large in scope for the average American voter to understand.  The candidates know this.  Their campaigns focus on giving us the information that merely sounds good.

The reason women voters should be afraid of Romney is for fear of losing the right to take care of their own bodies.  Even if one thinks the economy, or employment outlook, would be better with Romney in office, if he wins, our daughters lose.  Better jobs for our daughters doesn't equate to better choices for their bodies.

I am not pro-abortion, but I am pro-choice.  The minute the abortion laws are modified, which Romney will do, options for our daughters’ health decrease.  No, I do not want my daughters to have abortions, but I want them to have the right to affordable reproductive health care, which in some cases, only Planned Parenthood can provide. 

Romney may sound better for the economy, but with him in office, the type of economic freedom required to take care of an unwanted pregnancy is only available if you have access to Romney’s personal bank account.   Unless your daughter is going to suddenly fall into a large inheritance, with Romney in office, she won’t be able to afford, or have the choice to take care of herself. Whatever your religious or political convictions are, you can't deny your daughter's right to be healthy.






photo credit: Gage Skidmore via photopin cc

5 comments:

  1. What a brave post Kimberly. You just may get backlash for this one. NOT FROM ME, mind you, but you may. Know that I have your back, you have my support, I agree. This issue alone TERRIFIES me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grateful for your feedback. The election is indeed polarizing, and I was hesitant to say it for fear of offending readers. However, I just have this awful picture in my mind of my daughter, or anyone's daughter, stuck, afraid, and alone. Love that you have my back. That's a great feeling.

      Delete
  2. I live in Canada, but I have been following what's been going on with our neighbors. I don't understand this drive to take away a women's right to choose. Or making it so hard, so impossible they can't choose.
    Your posts are always so articulate and bright. It's good to be here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heidi! It's good to see you here, I appreciate your words as a neighbor and fellow-female, but mostly as a person. Your words ring of and for humanity.

      Delete
  3. Mitt Romney is leading in the polls with women voters - how can this be? I honestly can't even believe how close the race is. I sometimes wonder if the news is lying. I can't imagine being a women and not wanting to protect so many of the health rights that will be removed it Romney wins. Not only is he and Ryan anti-abortion, they are also against things like couples having the option of using in vitro to conceive because it's unnatural. I also feel this goes much deeper than just keeping pro-choice options safe and legal. There is too much religion in the politics and most of it is unfortunately, anti-women. So what if you believe in a different religion or just don't believe in the bible? I better just stop here - lol! But I agree with you and am really worried about our future! Great post Kim!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.