Monday, December 5, 2011

Murky Monday


Mondays are typically awkward for the mere fact that weekends are too short.  I just get used to a more free-form schedule and the alarm goes off. 6:00 a.m. “What day is it?”  Oh yes, the murkiness that infiltrates my brain signifies it is Monday. Back to the rigid schedule. Up early to support children in their efforts to independently get ready for school.  The daze and confusion usually dissipates by the time they get out the door on their way to school.

I have worked persistently at encouraging them to do for themselves what they can.  Of course, Dr. Maria Montessori was correct when she said, “Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed.”  This includes supporting them in doing the stuff in the morning routine on their own.  I always get up with them.  A parent’s presence is very impactful to the child.  But I will not do things they can do for themselves.

Except for today.  They have had sore throats and ear aches for a week.  Today they crawled out of their beds looking like they belonged back in their beds.  I brought Antonia her breakfast to her in bed.  Assured Sophia that if she can’t get through theater rehearsal, it would not be the end of the world.  I emailed the director of the musical explaining the sickness and asked what Sophia should do.  Sophia seemed relieved by this.  She also seemed relieved when I said I would make her a doctor’s appointment and get her out of school to attend.  Antonia is going, too.  They both WANT to see the doctor which makes me wonder if I should have taken them last week.

I had big plans for today.  Integrating new tools for organizing the week so that we operate more smoothly around here.  But, as it turns out, it will be somewhat normal today.  Taking it as it comes or flying by the seat of my pants. 

Tomorrow I’ll let go of the old clichés.  Possibly while the girls are home getting well.  And without the murky Monday brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.