Thursday, December 8, 2011

I am a Role Model



I made it through the interview.  The most fun part of preparing was sharing the inspirational Wonder Woman Season 2 opener with the girls.  They giggled exuberantly and Sophia said, “That just may be the cheesiest thing I have ever seen!”  Their laughter made me feel like a super hero and I felt good going into the interview.  Self-talk switched onto positive and focused.

The one negative aspect of the interview was that I do not think I want to work for the company.  I posed a simple question to the assistant director: “How does your curriculum support the educational philosophy of your center?” She replied very ambiguously.  Was she unsure?  Knowing what impact early education and care has on the kids in that center, on their families, and on the community, this was disappointing

The facility was beautiful and appeared to be safe.  Because of the assistant director's inability to clearly explain their program, I surmised that it was typical to a daycare out to serve their bottom line and not their families.  Nevertheless, going through the interview process for the first time in 20 years and performing successfully was valuable. Success begets success.

Afterwards, I arrived home to my two daughters lying at either end of the couch.  They were home sick with strep throat.  I said, “I got the job of Executive Director of the center and will be making $500,000 a year!” 
 
They replied, “Really?”

I said, “Of course not, but it was a step in the right direction.”

It’s beneficial for them to witness me completing my degree and embarking on a new career.  It’s good for them to see me nervous, see me prepare, and see my reactions after interviews.  I’m a role model, I know it.  And when I do it right, it feels good.

Wonder Woman beware.

3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right! Our first job as parents is to lead by example. We are their first and most important teachers.

    Great post, and good luck!

    Trish http://contemplatinghappiness.blogspot.com/2011/12/writing-is-therapeutic.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything that we do is an example - sometimes parents forget that even the normal, day to day things can be an example too. It isn't all about the big stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Patricia and Rebel Chick. I appreciate the support. You are right Rebel Chick. The small moments are important because of their frequency. Even zipper binders and braids have significance.

    http://sperk77.blogspot.com/2011/12/zipper-binders-and-braids.html

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.