Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Good Morning





A sunny October morning in Bexley, Ohio.  I drove up to my house after dropping off my daughter at school and noticed, not for the first time, that the house needs painted.  I entered through the front door into the tiny living space to find my younger daughter sitting at the kitchen table staring down at her plate which held a cookie dough flavored Balance bar.  It was accompanied by a red Fiestaware coffee cup full of 2% milk.  She was still waking up.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to finish making her lunch, check to see if anyone made a move on WordFeud, or go to the bathroom.  So I let the dogs out.  It had been at least 20 minutes since they ate and surely it was time to offer them some relief of their little organs.  With Scruffy, Tina, and Frodo outside yapping at the wind and annoying the neighbors, I decided to ask Antonia if she wanted the straightener plugged in.  I thought she may feel better about the day if her hair was done.  She typically just brushes it and it looks good--she's beautiful--but I was attempting to be a supportive mother.  "What would help her through the day?"  And unlike the exterior of the house which will have to be put on hold, her exterior can be updated, or spruced up, in order to maintain hope throughout a busy autumn school day.  I felt it was the least I could do to contribute to her mood.  To help elevate it and make her energized and excited about life.  Sometimes, moms can't leave well enough alone, for she typically perks up in time to leave for school and walks with a spring in her step for the entire one block journey.  It's just those moments when I think there may be something less than happy abound, I need to fix it.  Even though I know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.