Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wednesday's Woman: The Door is Always Open

Brandon's House
As I type this, Sophia, my 13 year-old, sits working with her tutor on Algebra II.  Antonia, my 11 year-old, is finishing her homework so that we can make it to a 7:00 pm showing of Finding Nemo in 3D

Things have been a bit overwhelming lately. . . .

I was going to fill you in, however, I think you can imagine:  two daughters, one in middle school and one in her first year of high school. 

But just like Dory, I am going to just keep swimming.

Today’s Wednesday’s Woman is from a very special person, my significant other, M.  He chooses to honor someone who was there for him during his tumultuous teen years and continues to be a steady support to him as he approaches middle-age. 

I am quite envious that he had this person in his life during his adolescence and I often wonder if I am a similar presence of unconditional and non-judgmental love for my own girls.  I do know that when he talks about her it is a great reminder to be patient, kind and loving even to those crazy teens that I like to call my daughters.


Wednesday's Woman: Susan Parr
by M.

Susan Parr
Susan Parr is my choice for Sperk’s* Wednesday’sWoman. Susan is the mother of three extraordinary people and although I am not her son, I like to count myself as her fourth. She is married to an awesome man and father Rolf, is active member at her church and holds a master’s degree in counseling.  Susan has devoted her life to helping others. She is the founder and director of Brandon’s House Counseling Center in New Albany, Indiana. While working on her degree, she approached the board at her church with a proposal that they remodel an old house behind the church. The idea was to create a space for a youth counseling center. During this time, a 17 year old member of the church, Brandon Dukes, unexpectedly died from a heart attack. With the blessings of Brandon’s parents, the soon to be completed center would bear his name. Brandon’s House opened in 1993 and to date has helped over 3,000 families by contributing over $2,000,000 dollars in counseling services. Susan’s contributions to the welfare and caring of others reach far beyond my comprehension and ability to count. However, the following story is one small example why Susan Parr is so special to me. It is a story that her husband Rolf tells people about to this day.  

Susan’s middle child, Kevin, has been my closest friend since early high school. I spent many summer days and nights at their house during my high school years. I am sure there were times Susan wondered if I was ever going to leave, although she never let on. I really never wanted to leave.  

While driving home late one summer night, I decided that even though Kevin was in France, I would stop off at his house. I was aware that Kevin was not going to be there, but I was feeling hungry and Parr residence was on the way.  When I arrived, the lights were on so I walked through the front door as I had done hundreds of times before. Susan and Rolf were in the living room watching television. I said hello but did not stop as I made my way to the kitchen and found the refrigerator. I spotted a tasty looking pot of chili. (Susan makes the best chili.) I got a bowl from the cabinet and filled it. While my meal was heating in the microwave, I poured myself a glass of Hawaiian Punch. I always gave Kevin flack for drinking the stuff but I always held a secret love for it.  I took my food and drink to the kitchen table. When I finished my meal, I placed my dirty dishes in the sink, said goodbye to Susan and Rolf as I passed them in the living room, and drove to my parent’s house.

When I spoke with Susan to ask permission to write about her for Wednesdays Woman, she asked me why I came over to her house that night. My answer was because I felt safe. Like what home should feel like. A home where the door  would always be open, a place where I could be myself, a place where help and advice was always there but never thrust upon me and a place where I was accepted and not judged but where subtle caring guidance was a constant. I imagine that she has provided this to the many families and young people who have been to Brandon’s House.

Susan remains a phone call away when life has my mind in a mess and I need someone to talk to. She always listens to whatever comes out of my mouth. Whether I am in tears or in a manic frenzy, Susan always listens. She does not offer unsolicited advice. She does not judge me. She listens and asks how I feel. Susan Parr stands for everything that a Wednesdays Woman is. Just yesterday, she let me know that there was a pot of chili in her refrigerator and that I was welcome to it at any time, day or night. And for this, I love her.




Wednesday's Woman is a weekly feature dedicated to spotlighting women who are role models for our daughters. . . and the world.
 






photo credit: waferboard via photopin cc

1 comment:

  1. My eyes are weepy. Susan sounds like "mom." So good you both have her. <3

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.