Monday, September 24, 2012

Five Places to Make Home


Living in a typical American town, I imagine I have typical items in my home.  I have a couch, a few chairs, and a table where my family gathers for meals, kitchen appliances and electronics.  For today’s Monday Listicles, which has the theme of 10 Things in My Home, I wonder what I can share that will be of interest? I do have dogs, but that’s not unusual.  There are tidy spots and spaces that are disasters.  Typical, typical, typical. 

My younger daughter started 7th grade last month and my older daughter is a freshman.  Lately, my significant other and I have been discussing whether or not we will stay here six years from now when the girls are finished with high school.  It’s a fun discussion, full of hopes, dreams, and sometimes good ol’ boring reality.  The reality being we would have to fix up our current house in order to sell it, in order to move.

Here’s a list of 5 places we’ve thought of moving after the girls graduate from high school:

The Short North
The Short North – We live in a little municipality that is surrounded by the city.  It’s beautiful with historic homes and very mature trees, but the taxes are high, and we never really feel like we fit in.  We feel at ease when we are downtown among the galleries, the fun eateries and venues for live music—the trendy neighborhood Columbus, Ohio calls the Short North.

Louisville, KY – My significant other grew up in Southern Indiana, across the river from Louisville.  He spent much of his early 20’s living and working there, and we spent many weekends there when we were courting.  He’s feeling called to go there.  I wouldn’t mind at all.  I grew up along the same river, just a few hundred miles north.  I get it.  The river means home.

Savannah, Georgia – One evening we went so far as to explore homes for sale in Savannah--online, not actually in Georgia.  The homes are too expensive for us to afford.  But we found out that we could afford a small (better described as tiny), rental on Tybee Island, on the water.  The sun and the south.  This is high on my fantasy list, for sure.

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee – Not sure why Tennessee.  Maybe it’s because I saw a documentary on HBO called One Nation Under Dog that featured a woman who has this amazing space in Tennessee where she makes art and rescues dogs.  Seems like a dream world to me.

Chicago, Illinois – I lived in Chicago during my early twenties.  I usually say I grew up there because I literally grew up while living there.  I had to do grown up things in order to pay rent and survive.  It was difficult, but I loved it.  And Chicago has it all--friendly people, arts, commerce, bodies of water, history, and . . . wait.  I forgot about the winters.  This one will probably be the first to be removed from the list when it’s time to decide.

Here’s 5 things I will have to do to my house before moving:

Clean this light fixture – When I happen to look up from the table where I write and where we have meals, I am quite mortified.  I’ve been meaning to clean this thing forever.  Today may be the day.


The plumbing – I don’t know exactly what is wrong with it.  It wasn’t right when I bought the house six years ago, but I didn’t know that until I moved in.  I bought the house while living in California and thought too much of my realtor.  She really got me good with the inspections that passed but shouldn’t have.

The electrical stuff – Again with the lousy realtor.  How this home passed inspection is beyond me.  If you run the hair dryer, half the house loses power.  If you run the microwave and the vacuum at the same time, the entire house loses power.

Refinish the floors –I love me some wood floors.  Ours are icky, and need refinished.  Anyone want to do me a favor?

Something with the chimney — It was disclosed that there was an issue with the chimney.  I haven’t gotten it looked at to figure it out and have it repaired.  A cozy fire may be appealing to future owners.

There's more.

Actually, the list of things that need to be done to this house before I could sell it is enormous and overwhelming.  I’m going back to my first list, the list of places I’d like to move to after the girls graduate.  For me, it's more fun to fantasize about a freshly painted rental in an ideal location than to contemplate fixing things in this old house.

After this one is sold, I will never own a house again . . . ever.

“Hello, Mr. Landlord, the toilet is clogged.  Would you mind?”

The best way to spend Monday in the blogosphere!





photo credit: emdot via photopin cc

photo credit: OZinOH via photopin cc

16 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the joys of an older home...Your area Short North looks very cool. And I have to agree that having just been there last weekend, Chicago is very cool and the people very friendly. Which was great for a clueless tourist like me. Savnanah is wonderful too. Old and southern and on the water. Can't beat it. Loved the post....but want to see your dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my dogs. So so much. They are in my Instagram feed to the right, but then you'd have to hang here a while and I know you are a busy mama. <3 I'll devote a post to them soon. xo

      Delete
  2. I love Chicago but the winters would do me in. NJ is bad enough (I'm from CA)! We talk about where we'll live when our kids graduate too (but my youngest is only in 3rd grade so we have a while). It's a fun discussion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in NJ for a short while. My older daughter was born there. We moved from there to California on a cold morning in January when there was 11 inches of snow on the ground.

      Delete
  3. My husband and I have talks all the time about places we'd like to live, it is SO fun to research different places and fantasize about finding the perfect little place in locations we love. Short North sounds perfect for you and Chicago is another place I want to visit someday soon. Thinking of all the fixing up house stuff, I agree - not nearly as fun :) I'm with you on never owning again as well. Our first house was such a nightmare, now that we are out it doesn't seem like owning is so great anymore! Love your list Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna. Thanks for your love. Come visit me soon. xo

      Delete
  4. I love your list! You really did this up nicely. But good gravy woman, take care of that electric. I'm worried.

    On a different note, someone should move Chicago so that its perfection is not marred by those winters. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know an electrician that will trade work for a nice blog post? I agree that Chicago is the best, and moving it sounds like a killer idea.

      Delete
  5. Nice fantasy list with a cold dose of reality! (I was "made" in Chicago but I grew up in sunny, make that foggy, San Francisco. My mom and dad met in Chicago when they were street artists. If I was born in March, it was July when the made me. Too much information.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with Chicago. I promise myself to go there for weekends when the kids are grown, but yes, I agree...in the warm season! Great listicle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We dream of moving other places, even look up houses in Montana. Its fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny we said we will never own for that very same reason. But we do :)
    Hey how come WA is not on your list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.