Friday, September 14, 2012

Where Is My Daughter?



I really want to read other blogs and leave comments right now but have the need to fulfill my blog every day commitment.  So, what do you want to read about?

Would you like to know how frustrating it is to have your first born off and running around town while you worry about her getting into cars, homes without parents. . . situations in which you may have not yet given her the tools to navigate?

The GPS tracker on her phone picked her up three blocks out of our little “city” which put her IN the city and I freaked out.  

The only thing I worry about in our 2.5 square mile municipality within the capital city is the lack of parental guidance given to some of her peers.  It’s pretty safe.  But when you get to the edge of town and step across the street, it becomes about so much more than if a parent is present in the home.

After I saw her location, I texted her twice. 

No texts back.

I called.

No answer.

I immediately thought someone swooped her off the street, had her in a vehicle, and was speeding her towards a place of doom.

I texted her dad who had her in his care for the weekend and before he could respond, she called.

I heard screaming teens and an echoing voice coming over loud speakers and knew.  The GPS was not exactly accurate.  She was at the football game, exactly where she was supposed to be.

I contemplated going there, but I didn’t.

I knew it was normal for her to go to a football game without me sitting somewhere in the stands keeping watch.

I knew I could trust her dad when she’s in his care.

I knew I should trust her.

My heart, though, knew nothing but the ache of watching a girl growing into a woman.  It knew of all the things that could go wrong and little of what could go right.



photo credit: zappowbang via photo pin cc

5 comments:

  1. You killed me with this one. That worm of anxiety/fear curls in my belly quite often, too. Growing up is hard for everyone. Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, wow. Really not looking forward to this stage! Wishing you loads of strength and luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine when this happens to me in a few years. You handled it well. I'll need advice soon. How do you equip a teen girl for what the world really holds? It's a scary world when I think of my preteen going into it. Ugh. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have three boys. 20, 14 and 11 and even though my Big is legally an adult (and I use the term 'adult' loosely) I worry everyday.
    He has gone on weekend trips to a city 300 miles away with friends. He drives to see his gf at college about an hour and a half away. He pretty much tends to his own business and I let him...but I worry. I don't worry so much about the choices HE is making, as I know he errs on the side of caution but I worry about the things that I have no control: drunk drivers, bad kids (thanks I.D. Channel!), car jackers and the random things like a flat tire on the side of the road. With three...you can imagine I could easily become a basket case. I finally decided that I needed to stop facebook stalking them, turned off the GPS on their phones (well on HIS not the other two yet) and just had to accept that all the worry in the world won't change what will or won't happen. I decided I had to just stop. I am trying really really hard to just have faith that they will be okay. But it's really really hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I know I can trust my kids' dad and their stepmom, I often worry when I can't reach my kids while they're there. I totally get this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.