Monday, September 10, 2012

10 Songs That Rock



I planned on composing today’s Monday Listicles earlier this morning but was sidetracked after my daughter, a freshman in high school, sent me a text.  Apparently she has to stay after school and write on the chalkboard, “I will not forget my Spanish binder” a number of times as a consequence for, you guessed it, forgetting her Spanish binder. 

I spent a few hours looking for credible research that supported my instinct: writing lines is an ineffective and demeaning form of punishment.  More on that in a future post.

Now for the fun stuff, a great topic for today’s Monday’sListicles: 10 Songs.  That’s it.  No explanation and left open for interpretation.

I’m going for 10 Songs That Rock. 

You may ask, “What’s the criteria for rocking?”  The answer:

~Any song, if you heard it on the radio, you wouldn’t change the dial.
~A rock anthem (Still ambiguous, I know. Now you’re asking, “What’s a rock anthem?”)
~Any song with a driving beat that brings you to your feet.
~Any song that makes you feel empowered.
~Any song that will help alleviate my anger for forgotten binders and punishments given as consequences.
~Any song that fills in for anti-depressant medication.

10 Songs That Rock

Why Go - Pearl Jam

Elevation - U2

Paradise City - Guns N Roses

Baba O'Riley - The Who

We Will Rock You - Queen

Under Pressure - Queen

Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes

Killing in the Name - Rage Against The Machine

Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

Infinity Guitars -Sleigh Bells


The above were ranked in no particular order.  It was challenging enough to choose only 10.  Ranking them would have taken days of research and statistical analysis.  Which songs are on your list of Songs That Rock?

Be sure to check out Monday Listicles to see how other bloggers interpreted 10 Songs:

The best way to spend Monday in the blogosphere!


photo credit: larskflem via photo pin cc

15 comments:

  1. I lost two hours today pricing hotels for a small vacation six months away. Sometimes the internet and so many options doesn't make life easier. And I've already had to deliver a trumpet to the middle school last week. I agree. Cranking up the right tune should qualify as an anti-depressant. Paradise City, Queen, Bruce. All great choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, sometimes the ease of the internet becomes the distraction that kills. (That may have been a bit strong). ;) I used to play the trumpet. Loved it and totally miss marching band. You are a kind mom for delivering it to school. Hope you have a rockin' week, lovely lady.

      Delete
  2. Baba O'Reilly: almost a perfect song.

    Great list, Sperk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All excellent, rockin' tunes. Great list. I would add these 5, the last 5 I've rocked out to from my iPod that have rocked me in various ways:

    Whip It - Devo
    Man with a Hex - Amotic Fireballs
    Free Ride - Edgar Winter Group
    Back in Black - ACDC
    Original Fire - Audioslave

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are definitely some serious rockin' tunes! Love these songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh and sorry about your daughter. I guess she won't forget again any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know they still made kids write lines like that for punishment. I have to agree with you, a useless and demeaning punishment. Ugh....I like your music list though, you got some great ones on here. I love the White Stripes and Rage. It would have taken me forever to pick only 10 songs, no way could I put them in any kind of order either :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think my favorite of these is Seven Nation Army. Lots of good choices! I've never gotten into Sleigh Bells, but I think I should try them out.

    And I agree - how is writing lines effective punishment?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paradise City is one of my favorites!!

    Interested to hear the rest of the story on the writing lines saga.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Pearl Jam, Guns and Roses, and U2 can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great tunes - i'm too untech to figure out how to load video in a blog post, so i'm going to just read and glean great music from all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Niiiiice list. GnR, Springsteen, Queen. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! I love Seventh Nation Army! And Pearl Jam!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought only Bart Simpson did that???!!! What the ? ANyway the teacher should have made her post “I will not forget my Spanish binder” on her FB wall a 100 times, way more effective ( gosh I have a rubbish sense of humor...)
    Anyway these are awesome! Never heard of the last one though, very rocking!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.