Monday, January 21, 2013

All These Things That I've Done

On Mondays, I typically participate in Monday Listicles, which I love.  However, today's theme of things found in your closet....my closet is a tiny hole in the wall.  I live in an old house.  There's not much in there of interest--mainly hanging shirts and a pile of shoes on the floor.  But, I'm still going to participate with a list, just one of a different topic.  I hope you'll forgive my bending of the rules.

Do you have a constant internal dialogue discussing all the things you need to do or should be doing? I do. And yet, there is so much that I have done.

Yesterday I came across an inspiring list created by Kerstin Auer honoring the things she has done. She was prompted by a blogging link-up by Andrea B  Now, I’m inspired.



In lieu of the closet, here's a few things I've done:

*Attended a presidential rally. Forward!

*Saw my favorite rock icons in concert: Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, and U2.

*Traveled from coast to coast to over 25 Dave Matthews Band concerts.

*Met my significant other online—MySpace to be exact.

*Survived two C-sections and was rewarded with two beautiful daughters.

*Survived the terrible twos, twice.

*Put my foot down and said “no” to my daughters several times, surviving the excruciating pain of knowing they were disappointed.

*Watched my oldest daughter star in her middle school musical (oh, the nerves. She did so well).

*Listened in amazement to my younger daughter practice her clarinet. She’s so talented.

*Read many poems of praise written for me by my daughters.

*Tucked in my girls at bedtime most every night for 14 years. 

*Visited Las Vegas three times.

*Traveled to London, Paris, Nice, Florence, and Lucerne.

*Taken the 3 1/2 hour boat tour around Manhattan.

*Saw Bebe Neuwirth play Velma Kelly in the musical Chicago on Broadway.

*Had “the talk” with my daughters. We aren't done, it is ongoing.

*Was runner-up in Junior Miss Ohio in 1987, which allowed me to go to college with the scholarship awards.

*Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a degree in Early Child Education in 2012.

*Have had many jobs: cocktail waitress, daycare worker, fitness center manager, pizza server, telemarketer, wardrobe consultant, retail merchandiser, and stay-at-home mom. My favorite has been stay-at-home mom.

*Confronted my perpetrators. I am a survivor of child sexual abuse.

*I've asked for help.

*I've received help.

*Gained and lost 60 pounds.

*Danced with a professional dance company.

*Danced in my living room.

*Gained and lost ten pounds.

*Recovered from an eating disorder.

*Had two photos selected by the Columbus Museum of Art to be included in their Photo Hunt installations.

*Was honored as a BlogHer 2012 Voice of the Year.

*I've been a wife and an ex-wife.

*Lived in Chicago, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Louisiana, Northern California, and now Columbus, Ohio.

*I've done punk rock karaoke.

*I've been to Bonnaroo, twice. And I want to go back!


I leave you with one of my favorite songs, so apropos:



The best way to spend Monday in the blogosphere!








  photo credit: the camera is a toy. via photopin cc

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful list! My favorite was you getting a degree in 2012 for early childhood education. You are an inspiration! Once my boys are in school I would love to get a degree so I could teach Kindergarten. Dave Matthews Band live is such an amazing experience...25+ times is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go for that degree! Yes, DMB is incredible. I haven't seen them in a few years and need to! I miss it.

      Delete
  2. Wow. That's an awesome list, Kimberly. Dancing, graduating magna cum laude, travelling, having "the talk". That's what a fulfilled life is made of.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kerstin. This was a great exercise. A good reminder to honor what has been good. I forget so easily. xo

      Delete
  3. Wow. You've done some amazing things! I met my husband on Yahoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be embarrassed to explain how I met my significant other. It's becoming quite common and I think there will be a day when it is the norm. Thanks for commenting. :)

      Delete
  4. I had to force myself to focus on reading the rest of the list. I got stuck on traveling coast to coast and seeing DMB TWENTY FIVE TIMES! I now have this weird combination of awe-admiration-jealousy going on. You totally rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss those days. There is nothing like live music, one's favorite band, the friends, predicting the set-list. I don't know if I would have the energy to do it today! ;)

      Delete
  5. I love your list. Got goosebumps and well up all in the same post. This list could be expanded into an incredible book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? A book? I'll get to work. You'll have the first copy...signed.
      xo

      Delete
  6. You sound like a really cool chick (if that doesn't sound weird). You had me at "Dave Matthews Band". Ha! Fantastic list of accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had me at "cool chick". Now if I could just convince my daughters. :)

      Delete
  7. Kim, your list is incredible! You've done so much and you're still so young! I'm so jealous of your traveling but hopefully there will be some coming my way :) I agree with Kenya, this could be the makings of an incredible book. By the way, my husband is also embarrassed by it but we also met on MySpace - lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss MySpace. I used to find really great bands there. In fact, I started following the Avett Brothers on MySpace before they were big and saw them at a very small concert of only about 500 people.
      The traveling to Europe was with the French Club in High School. I would love to go back. I think I would appreciate it so much more, yet I am grateful to have had the opportunity. You can start your traveling adventures to Ohio to see ME!!!!!

      Delete
  8. I always knew you were an amazing woman but seeing it in list form..WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such a fab lady. So cool I choose to not make fun of you for having MySpace account. Rock on Kim!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.