Friday, December 9, 2011

Zipper Binders and Braids


Heading into the weekend without an itinerary leaves opportunities for me to shift roles from task manager to parent.  The down time offers moments void of activity that foster the emergence of my daughters' true personalities.  This is a joy and gift, but sometimes can be overwhelming.  I have read that kids change in adolescence and become unable to listen and respond in a sensible way.  But I never thought my girls would actually exhibit this behavior as they morph into teenagers.

During a middle school orientation, the principal explained to parents that our children would lose things, forget things, and basically become unrecognizable.  I thought, “Sophia won’t.  She’s very organized, conscientious, and diligent at keeping up with things.”

Not long into the school year I began to hear, “I forgot my notebook in my locker or maybe it’s at Dad’s.  I don’t know, but I can’t even do the assignment anyway because the teacher hasn’t posted it on Power School.”

It was happening.  The principal's prophecy was coming true.  And it continues.

Sixth and seventh grade science classes seemed to be no problem for Sophia.  Eighth grade has been different.  Two weeks ago, after she explained to me she had to retake another test for mastery, I asked her how she studied for the tests.  She pulled out a folder stuffed with papers of several different scientific themes arranged in a motley mess.  

Then I asked if she kept a notebook, and she replied, “Yes.  I use one for every subject.”

I replied, “You mean you have a single notebook designated for each subject?”

She responded, “No.  I mean I use one notebook for everything.”

The notebook wasn’t even organized by subject or date.  No headings.  No sign of structure to be found.

I was puzzled for I now had no clue what was going on in that other note keeping device--that giant pink zipper-binder that is toted to and from school every day.  I guess it doesn't contain anything that is needed for studying.  Is it some sort of new fashion trend?

Not to fuel any sibling rivalry, I do have stories about Antonia that add to my astonishment.  I am saving them for later and I am sure more will emerge as we stumble through the next two days--the weekend.  These are the hours in which I can let go of task managing and become reacquainted with these young women who are testing the waters of independence.

Sometimes it’s scary to think they’ll have to navigate through life without me someday.  Until then, I will continue to tuck them in at night.  I will still braid their hair when they ask.  And I will always drive to school to retrieve forgotten notebooks.

4 comments:

  1. "I have read that kids change in adolescence and become unable to listen and respond in a sensible way. But I never thought my girls would actually exhibit this behavior as they morph into teenagers."

    Is that why my conversations with my tween have become circular, leading nowhere and leave me wanting to bang my head against a wall? Seriously, why is that? Is it executive function development? And why doesn't it show up until adolescence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is executive function development and it is like dealing with a toddler with super powers. Thanks for your response, Missy. Let's keep in touch as the stories unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! My daughter is seven years old, so I might still have a few more years before adolescence rear its not-so-pretty head :)

    I could only imagine how frustrating this stage would be to both our hormonal children, and to us as their primary caretaker.

    But knowing a bit of what lies ahead for me does help... It doesn't make it less scary, but at least I wouldn't feel as if my child has been kidnapped by aliens and they've switched her with her evil clone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Sweaty. Yes, you have a few years and I must say I am envious. :)

    My goal is to gain an understanding of adolescence so that I can find the beauty in it. So far, it's quite a strange ride and I hope to keep you updated on the journey. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.