Thursday, September 6, 2012

The One Thing I Can't Say: I'm Depressed



The first time I remember feeling depressed was in the first grade.  My grandfather had just died.  During recess, I walked around the school yard without talking or playing with anyone for at least three days. One of those times, Sister Miriam Ann decided to bring me into my classroom and tell my homeroom teacher what she had observed.  This attempt to help me included empathy from both her and my teacher.  I felt it in their words, even though I didn’t believe what they said: “Your grandfather is happy in heaven with God.”

That was approximately 36 years ago.

Since then, I have experienced many varying levels of depression, from mild to clinical—after every break-up, every time a performance run ended, when I failed exams, after recovering memories of sexual abuse, after each of my children were born and after my divorce.

I have had varying types of treatment—talk therapy, rehab, medication and EMDR.  They all worked for a period of time.

Time is a tricky thing.

I am on the upswing from what I thought was a mild bout of depression.  However, when examining the calendar, charting the amount of time I have felt down and the number of episodes of Pawn Stars I have viewed, I have to reassess—it has been severe.  On the other hand, it hasn’t lasted that long and to the untrained eye, or to those who do not regularly see me, nothing seems unusual. 

I don’t think my daughters have even noticed.  Or maybe they have.  And that kills me.

It’s not that there are glaring signs of my depression staring my daughters in the face.  I do not stay in bed all day (at least, not when they are around), there is always food on the table, clean underwear in their drawers, and I have made it to every beginning-of-the-school-year parent meeting.  However, I know what would be staring them in the face if I was not depressed.  It would all be better—the condition of the house and my enthusiasm for after-school time beyond making sure they get their homework done successfully.

The funny thing about depression is that it can become comfortable.  An upswing towards feeling good, although being the desired goal, is uncomfortable and unfamiliar—scary. 

And what would people think if they knew I struggled with depression?  That question plagues me with such ferocity that I dare not admit even the slightest bit of sadness.  So things come out sideways.  For instance, yesterday when I was driving my older daughter home from school, a telemarketer called.  I answered the unfamiliar number with enthusiasm because the opposite, ignoring the phone, is typically one of the first signs that indicate I am depressed. 

I thought, “Yay! I am answering the phone.  I am getting better!”

The conversation started out pleasant but ended with an inappropriate outburst that stunned my daughter:

Telemarketer: Is Kimberly Speranza available?
Me:  (with a very sweet sounding voice) It depends on who is calling.
Telemarketer: This is [so and so] from [so and so]
Me: (continues sweetly) She’s not available to you and please take her number off your list.  I mean, this is Kimberly.  Please take my number off your list.
Telemarketer: Are you on the National Do Not Call List?
Me: (getting angry) Yes.
Telemarketer: How’s that working out for you?
Me: (blows her top) Why don’t you suck balls and die.

(Uh-huh.  I know, I know. It was terrible and completely out of character for me.  IT was my depression being inappropriately expressed as anger towards and innocent person trying to do their job.  Additionally, it was a not-so-fine moment of setting an example for my daughter of how to handle annoying phone calls--not OK.)

I tapped the phone to hang up as the telemarketer whaled with laughter.  My daughter heard him.  She said, “Mom! That was awful. He was laughing at you.”

And there it is.

I don’t want to be laughed at.

I don’t want to be coddled and consoled.

I don’t want to be looked at like an insane person who is incapable of functioning.

Intellectually I know the above list of fears is unwarranted.  I understand mental illness.  I understand it is nothing to be ashamed of or to hide.  And yet, here I am, feeling exposed and afraid.

I am afraid that if I admit I am depressed, I will no longer be taken seriously.  Everything I say, write, or suggest will be met with, “She’s just crazy.”  Then I will be ignored, no longer heard or believed.

Typically, in order to avoid that vulnerable feeling of being exposed, I’ll cover it up by announcing my new “thing”:  quitting smoking, exercising, juicing, writing 2,000 words a day, yoga, meditation, taking walks.  Some of which I have tried, some of which I have only contemplated while lying on the couch with the TV mindlessly flashing before me.  And when all turn out to be unsuccessful attempts at getting myself off the couch, the depression worsens.

In AA, the first of the Twelve Steps is:  We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

I believe that within the words of Step One lies freedom.  Admitting.  Saying what is.  Calling a spade a spade. 

I admit it, I struggle with depression.




Gratefully linking up with Pour Your Heart Out
 which prompted me to write about my struggle with depression.
photo credit: ashley rose, via photo pin cc

20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you wrote about this. A candid and relatable look at what it's like to struggle with depression. I understand, and applaud your bravery. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jenna. Within your comment lies empathy and validation, which alleviates fear. And the hug? I just love hugs.

      Delete
  2. I think there was a reason you linked up with Shell this week and a reason you stumbled across my blog...it was the reminder I needed to read yours. I could've written this post (not as well but I could've written it). I am in front of my tv right now. Shows are on but I'm not watching. I'm carrying on with my life but not living it. I'm crying one moment and mad the next. I put a smile on for the bus stop and feel exhausted by the time I am back in my house. I AM STRUGGLING! I've always had little blips of depression on the radar screen but this is a big one. I'm trying to take it one day at a time but every day is struggle.
    My heart is with you. Take care of yourself and thank you for sharing. I've been feeling very alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes one day at a time becomes one moment at a time...smaller doses of time being easier to handle. I can relate to what seems like minimal tasks being exhausting and am sorry you were facing that today. I am grateful for not being alone and for finding you. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I have actually been going back and forth myself on whether or not to write about something similar. I've been struggling lately but I can't always differentiate between life stressors, depression or hypomania (irritability). I'm just hanging in there waiting until I see my psychiatrist next week so he can ask the questions and figure out the answers but meanwhile I'm trying really hard to be okay. Great post Kimberly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tried to write something here 4 times, but wordpress will not let me, so I am going to try google. I appreciate your honesty. We have a lot in common. I have been depressed since I was a very young child. My earliest memories are of being afraid, ashamed and sad. I did not realize I was depressed until I got into therapy when I was 25 and started getting better. Meds have helped me enormously, but so has therapy. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ben. I appreciate you being so candid. I am glad you have found a strategy that works for you, I know and really honor what it takes to stick with it in addition to your helping others througb your profession. You're an inspiration.

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you decided to write about this and that you are feeling on the upswing now but I know it's still a slow, difficult climb. I hate that depression is hitting so many, so many of us are struggling and I really hate that this is happening to you. The past few weeks have kind of knocked me backwards as well. Know that you are not alone and you are loved and most of all, not being judged. I hope the heaviness lifts soon and you get some relief. Try to be gentle and kind to yourself. I've been thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry you are struggling and I hope that writing about it helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not answering the phone is a big one for me. When I don't answer your call, you should leave me alone for a week.

    Depression is really ticking me off lately. I'm a roller coaster of crazy right now. I have been taking meds, and for about a year I felt like the results were positive, but now I'm not so sure. I've decided to taper off, which apparently is like quitting crack, because I am pretty damn crazy! I feel physically ill and mentally drained. So I do the one thing someone who is coming off depression and anxiety meds should do, google my symptoms. Bad move. The end.
    All of this to say. I get it! You are not alone. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Depression is overwhelming. I know how you feel. I hate that I don't want to play with my son because I'm depressed, and that makes me more depressed. Thank you for sharing your story. It is so important for others to hear what you have to say because so many of us struggle through similar things and never know that we are not alone. A few days ago, I had a complete breakdown that no one but my family and boyfriend know about. I threw and mug because I am so fed up with my life, and I'm still stepping on slivers of glass days later. That day, I went to the hospital to set up an appointment with a crisis center to try to get medication. I don't know if it will help, but I am tired of living my life as if I were a zombie. I want to be the best person I can be for myself and for my son and for all my loved ones. I hope you have the support you need to climb out of this mess. Please contact me whenever you'd like. My heart goes out to you. ~Xiomara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for holding the space for this. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a brave post.

    So many people struggle with depression. When I was teaching, almost every one of my coworkers was on some sort of anti-depressant(me included some of the time). When I realized how common it was, it helped me to not feel so bad about it- it happens to so many of us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This brought tears to my eyes. Because I wish I was there, because I wish you were here to drive to beautiful lakes 6800 feet above sea level to soak up the energy and enjoy the silence, because I wish you were here to climb mountains with, and because I've been going through the same thing and it's so reassuring to know that I'm not alone. August was rough. Really rough. I'm very thankful for lamotrogine and Cymbalta. I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my bouts with depression over the years and have tied a lot of it into my pain and respiratory issues. I thought I was strong because I could work through it (that's what we're taught our entire lives, right? Don't let it get your down or you're "weak."), but now I'm realizing how much it really has possessed me. The only time I was free was when I was triathlon training.

    Thank you for posting this. I've been thinking about you. Don't forget to be mindful. Everyone has days (or months) where they lie on the couch and watch Pawn Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right. Freedom lies in admitting there is a problem. I struggle w/ depression too. Thankfully, I haven't had it bad in a few years. But you know this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me, too. This is pretty awesome. Lame comment, I know. What can I say? I'm right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not lame, very brave to say, "me too"...hope this day is a good one. Always grateful to see you here.

      Delete

Comment moderation is on so you will not see your words here immediately. Sperk* loves feedback. She WILL see your words immediately, then post them in the comment section. . . unless you are spam. . . or someone named Sam. . . Anonymous is fine, just be respectful and kind. Thank you.